Build for Netgear R7800

You might take the newest OpenWrt 21.02 stable build.
You can see the list of newest ones in the first message.

And you need the factory image for flashing from the original OEM firmware, if you are still running that. ( If you are already running some OpenWrt image, use sysupgrade.)

1 Like

@hnyman had to restart my wifi 5ghz (80Mhz channel 52 / fast roaming) twice now on the last two master builds: 18770 and 18792. Should I provide some logs (if so which one?) or is it a known issue?

edit: changed to channel 36 as I found out that channel 52 @ 80Mhz is a strange choice. Will report if it changes things

Is the 5GHz Wi-Fi not responsive or you see extremely high latency? I do see the same issue with my own custom build for my R7800. Am testing a fix suggested by @tohojo and so far after 3 days of uptime, I'm not facing a much issue as I used to, for recent builds. I'm on openwrt 21.02 tho. Will monitor it for a week and week how it goes. The suggested file link can be found here.

Edit: Provided the link to the suggested fix.

What I found is that if the 5GHz Wi-Fi is on congested channel (typically that would be 36 and 149) the issue will be more apparent. Unfortunately the others are DFS channels, so even if you configure the regulatory domains and set it to auto, many times the channels will go back to either 36 or 149.

I have not ran into trouble by myself, and as there are no special source code changed in my build regaring the basic wifi functionality, it better to discuss in the generic R7800 thread (or in a ath10k-ct thread).

1 Like

I'm getting:

Tue Feb 15 15:02:18 2022 daemon.err nlbwmon[6220]: Netlink receive failure: Out of memory
Tue Feb 15 15:02:18 2022 daemon.err nlbwmon[6220]: Unable to dump conntrack: No buffer space available
Tue Feb 15 17:38:10 2022 daemon.err nlbwmon[6220]: Netlink receive failure: Object busy
Tue Feb 15 17:38:10 2022 daemon.err nlbwmon[6220]: Unable to dump conntrack: I/O error
Tue Feb 15 18:07:14 2022 daemon.err nlbwmon[6220]: Netlink receive failure: Object busy
Tue Feb 15 18:07:14 2022 daemon.err nlbwmon[6220]: Unable to dump conntrack: I/O error

Even with: net.core.rmem_max = 524288
Currently running build r18792-337e942290

sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=524288

This most likely is not not enough for a lot of people, it depends on how much traffic you have.
I recommend:

sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=1573376
sysctl -w net.core.wmem_max=1573376

And don't forget to change /etc/config/nlbwmon:

option netlink_buffer_size 1573376

5 Likes

It might help yes but that also changes parameters in the network stack, wonder what the effects will be if you set it too high.

If you set it too high you might run out of memory as this limit is per socket. But the R7800 has quite some RAM for this and usually you don't have a lot of sockets open on the router, since there are not many services running on the router that communicate with clients, unlike a webserver for example.

I've been using it for over a month now and it works fine. I did increase it step by step until it worked for me. For some doubling 524288 might also work, but it really depends on the amount of traffic that goes through your router.

4 Likes

owrt2102-r16497-d1c15c41d9-20220217
The build should be equivalent to the 21.02.2 release that was tagged today. The release will likely happen during the next few days, once the buildbot build has completed the build, the release docs have been finalised, etc...

1 Like

@hnyman not sure if you're aware but i think your feeds.conf.default patch doesn't apply any more, the master file was changed in late December to use src-git-full.

Actually it was merged just three days ago.
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=7fae1e5677e9bb4979c8d4ac99be4de6955b13d0

And see the PR discussion... I was actively pushing for this (so that it surely is there before the possible 22.0x branching).

The next build will naturally have the correct changes for that file.

EDIT:
master-r18881-4d8020072e-20220218

1 Like

Hi,

Can someone explain the difference on hymans dropbox between master and owrt folders?

Regards

Master is the bleeding egde development master with all the newest (experimental) stuff, while owrt2102 is the stable 21.02 release branch.

Both builds work ok, but the stable branch should offer less surprises.

4 Likes

@hnyman was thinking of implementing some type of module or status to display the presence of pstore directly in luci.
Would be an interesting feature to add...
Something like

• Give user notification if a pstore is present (aka system has crashed here is the log)
  • Advise to publish it and provide a download button

What do you think? Do you have suggestion / opinion on this feature?

3 Likes

Similar to the "no password set" notice after firstboot (linking to the pstore status/ download page), sounds great.

4 Likes

That has been proposed/planned earlier, but the discussion got stuck, as the scope started to widen...

See

The pstore feature would be nice.

I implemented the same on Gargoyle. I added it to the diagnostics page as a module that only displays if a file is detected in pstore.
Just an idea.

Think the big box in the status page was a bit too aggressive... Also the notification implementation got entirely stuck from what I can see.

Put some message in the pr to try to move things up... wonder if some interest by the community would put some priority to the 2 pr

7 posts were split to a new topic: Installing kmod packages to private builds

If you are experiencing any WiFi stalls with 21.02.2 builds and potentially master, there appears to be an issue:

2 Likes