Build for Netgear R7800

I fixed the very specific problem that needed your workaround... LOL
Also we are a community that works for free... Reading 'most of the OpenWRT build are broken is disgraceful for devs that works on the project.

6 Likes

Will this help with the low bandwidth issue when using cake/piece of cake?

I know the problem was fixed in later builds, but I use an earlier build because it's solid, and that workaround is needed for it.

OpenWRT is buggy and finding stable builds is not trivial. There are constant complaints about something being fixed and another part being broken.

I am sorry if that hurts your feelings as a developer, it's not aimed at anyone personally, but that's the result of what appears to be a lack of organized Continuous Integration chain and regression testing.

Why don't you contribute, or make your own? I don't see you posting issues in the firmware page, or the repo.

These are personal builds for hnyman, you are using what he uses for home, that he is kind enough to share.

The workaround you described, while increasing throughput also causes stability issues(? Wired says it doesn't, it did for me), if you want stable go to 19.07 it works great, don't use master. Better yet, go back to stock, or ddwrt.

1 Like

Those settings alone do not cause stability issues, let's not spread wrong information.

2 Likes

Can you please take the "lets tweak R7800" and "OpenWrt is buggy" discussions to other threads, as none of those issues is directly related to my build.

There are threads for those kind of discussions e.g. these related to R7800

4 Likes

Naming a bug is helpful. "Blabla" is not helpful. And the tweaks you reported have nothing to do with stability, but network performance. These tweaks (which I initially set a few years ago when I created the first oss port for the R7800 long before the first openwrt port) work for a lot of people but might not be working for everyone, same applies to other hacks, like irq assignment, they always influence other things and might not be what others want.

Openwrt especially 19.x builds for R7800 are very stable, that's a fact. And they are up to date unlike OEM firmwares which ships outdated software and kernels.

You will also find people in the netgear forum, that complain about bugs. If another firmware works better for your setup and environment than use it or report bugs.

In the past few years, while porting new routers to dd-wrt, I have reported numerous critical bugs to the vendors that send me engineering samples. Therefore I know quality control in oem firmware is often poor. Problem is, that they include quickly hacked together custom features/extensions, since this is done by only one or two devs, they lack code quality control.

P.S. Buggy OEM firmwares forced me to become a router firmware developer:-)

4 Likes

Pls let's not make hnyman call the police and remove posts...

The person asked how to reach full speed on R7800. I answered him with practical advice that I tested over months and months, concrete stable revision and startup script I used. That is helpful advice. The continuous complaints about my post are what's not helpful.

Dear hnyman,
Hello and I hope that you are well. I am looking to use master-r15468 build. It says that the folder is empty. Any timeline as to when the build will be available - as it says that its folder is " empty " for the last few hours. Not trying to rush you in any fashion - I am simply keen to use the latest build.
Thanks for your hard work, expertise and dedication to this project which benefits all of us who use your great builds for r7800 -
Peace

1 Like

Files are now there.
Looks like I created the directory yesterday, but did not actually copy the files.

1 Like

Dear hnyman,
Thanks my Brother - I truly appreciate that information. Stay safe and God Bless in these times of ours.

I bought a R7800 router to use with hnyman's build (It's a very good job, thank you!) for my gigabit fiber internet. (Sorry for my English... :neutral_face:)

I use the owrt1907 stable version, and I find that the wired (WAN—>LAN) NAT throughput (with software offloading) is sometimes lower than the expected (hoped), it changes between 450Mbit/s and 870MBit/s in a few hours. But when I connect my PC directly to the ISP's router, I always measure about 950Mbit/s download speed.

The CPU core utilization is very weird for me. When the speed is high (870Mbit/s), the CPU cores are almost fully used (mostly soft-irq), but when the speed is very low (less then 500Mbit/s), the CPU cores are used in 40-50%. Why? What can happen in router in this time? What can cause a slowdown?

Is there any way to stably reach the gigabit internet speed (minimum 900Mbit/s) or is this the maximum performance that can be reach with OpenWRT on this router?

1 Like

do you have sqm enabled?

I don't use SQM (and it is disabled by default).

Try switching to the performance cpu governor as a troubleshooting step and testing again. When I was testing the schedutil governor I noticed it didn't always ramp up to the full clock speed when needed. The default ondemand governor seemed to ramp up fine in my case, but it may still be worth trying performance to see if that helps.

If the issue is irq, you might try enabling irqbalance to spread the irqs between the two CPU cores. Be sure to test again after each change to help isolate the root cause.

I’d check out the r7800 performance thread for some performance specific tweaks to optimize hynman’s build.

Thanks for the ideas!
Viewed in htop, there is only a minimal (maximum 10%) difference between the two CPU cores. And during speed test the CPU core clock frequencies always are 1725 MHz (also in ondemand mode), but the CPU percentages have decreased (when the speed is lower than the normal).
So i don't know what limits the download speed more or less at times.

Thanks for your reply!
I already tried to tweak the CPU but I couldn't increase the download speed.
The NSS hardware offloading sounds very well, but I don't know how stable it is or what its disadvantages are.
The hardware offloading would be very useful...

Your ISP?
There is less traffic, so the router is not fully utilised and is not the bottleneck ?