Build for Netgear R7800

Not sure if it’s improvements in 19.07 generally, or with improvements in SQM but I’m seeing the best results I’ve ever had on dslreports now. Thankyou to everyone involved, and specially you @hnyman for maintaining this great build.

1 Like

I have openwrt wifi real speed between 400 and 500 mbs ( with a lot of fluctuations) at my distance and intel 9260 client and around 640mbs on stock wifi.

This why i have the best of both worlds to mixing OpenWrt wired router and Voxel Wifi AP for my specific needs

When flashing this for 1st time on a stock firmware R7800, will I need to use the tftp method or can I upload the openwrt firmware to netgear ui?

Thanks

tftp is required.
While the webinterface would accept the image file, doing so would only result in a bootlooping device (due to the different NAND partitioning).

1 Like

Actually it should be enough to flash factory.img from web interface. TFTP is required while moving from OpenWrt to stock.

1 Like

Just tested current master with ct firmware vs Voxel's flavor of stock build with transfer of almost 23GB file:

• 7:39 with stock
  • 7:51 with OpenWrt

Considering minimal difference and availability of 802.11r, granular control over TX power and great monitoring I would stick with OpenWrt.

1 Like

Agreed.

Additionally there is some good work on 802.11v. Looks like it is getting close to prime time. Would be a good feature to add. Commercial grade roaming (r+k+v) from a consumer router might be around the corner. :sunglasses:

Ok so which one is it then? Gui or tftp? When going from stock to openwrt 19.07 hnyman build ?

If I understand correctly, I could just try it, and if it bricks the router I can use tftp?

You can do that.
I always believed that the TFPT was required, but lately some people have said that flashing directly from OEM firmware also worked.

But in any case, the TFPT method wrks in any case.

3 Likes

master-r12890-de63466364-20200409

The default kernel used for ipq806x has now been toggled from 4.19 to 5.4.
Not much visible things to the user, but hopefully improvements under the hood.

1 Like

According to your numbers you have around 50 MByte/s throughput for both builds.
I just tested again with exactly same conditions for master ct firmware vs Voxel with transfer of 8.3 GB and got 1:42 with stock ( 81 MBs) and 2:24 (50 MBs) with master.
I have very consistent test results.
Interesting and i dont know why you have similar results for stock and OpenWrt.

Thanks for the reply.

The actual router hasn't arrived yet, once it does I'll try it via gui 1st and report the results.

Anyone is having this? For a while all builds does not show anymore IPv6 Upstream info on the right side of IPv4 Upstream on the Status > Overview page. Network > Interfaces has WAN6 connected with IPv6 IP address assigned.

The error is:

GET https://192.168.1.1/luci-static/resources/protocol/relay.js?v=git-20.089.25318-f89efcf 404 (Not Found)

That relay.js thing is "standard" error...
Nothing to do with IPv6 info.

(And the IPv6 info is shown normally for me in the Overview page)

1 Like

Thanks. Strange, on some other build the IPv6 info is there with exact same settings. Only that yours here are lean and just running so good… :slight_smile:

Also, after reboot IPv6 upstream info is shown but it is disappearing shortly. Wondering which of my settings is affecting this. Might try a reset later again.

Any idea why attempt to compile from the scratch is ending like that:

Configuring collectd-mod-thermal.
Configuring urngd.
Configuring 6to4.
Configuring ppp-mod-pppoe.
Configuring patch.
make[2]: *** [package/Makefile:68: package/install] Error 255
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/owrt/master'
make[1]: *** [package/Makefile:108: /home/owrt/master/staging_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/stamp/.package_install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/owrt/master'
make: *** [/home/owrt/master/include/toplevel.mk:220: world] Error 2

If you would look a bit back in the log, you would likely see that there is kernel hash caused dependency error. I stumbled into that yesterday.

The (kernel) config parser / kernel config file locations / vermagic related changes yesterday. Look at the git changes. Likely those changes cause some stamp to be there wrongly, despite the make clean.

I did yesterday:
make clean
make config-clean
rm -rf tmp (just in case, as package data is stored in semi-hidden .dot files there)

I got an empty queue sqm luci page (with add queue button) despite the sqm config was intact and working, in the latest master build/script 0409.

And if you need things like AP mode with VLANs and multiple SSIDs, the choice is clear: OpenWRT.

@hnyman Hi, can i flash your build over my existing regular OpenWrt 19.07.2?