Build for Netgear R7800

Have you tried playing with maxassoc in /etc/config/wireless?
Something like:

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option maxassoc '255'

And the same for remaining interfaces.
Other option would be hostapd.conf and max_num_sta.

For those considering master build version from 20200123 seems to have performance issue. Might be related to Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984).

One needs to look at /proc/softirqs now to tell if for both cores are used...

Tried that and no luck. When the limit is reached my wired devices with with static IP address also get blocked.

Have you checked size of your DHCP scope?

Assuming 19.07 is using ath10k-ct driver and firmware, you should see this response (and the link he provides in it) by the ct dev to increase the number of stations beyond 32.

HTH

1 Like

Thank you, this looks like what I needed.

What is the recommended way to update/upgrade all upgradable packages with this build?

The wiki says

The package repositories in the development snapshots are updated by the build bots to new versions very often, so it's very likely you won't be able to upgrade some packages due to broken dependencies with kernel or kernel-related packages. In that case, it's recommended to use the Image Builder and make a new firmware image with all packages you need and flash that instead of upgrading through opkg.

So I've to upgrade each time via flashing? What percentage of my settings, certificates and so on will remain? Or is it OK to use

opkg list-upgradable | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | xargs opkg upgrade

?

The recommended way is not to do that at all, ever. Flash a newer snapshot, but don't try to upgrade packages en masse.

1 Like

With what frequency do you upgrade your router? What settings will I have to apply again?

Well, I build a new build every few days, so I build quite frequently.

All your settings should survive sysupgrade, but you need to reinstall the possible extra packages.

What frequency would you recommend to do (security) updates? So I'd have to reinstall OpenVPN, ACME, their settings and certificates and so on?

SSH certificates in your user profile don’t by default (If you use those to log into your router), but it’s easy to add them to the list of files to keep during an upgrade

@hnyman Is it possible to add suport for Linksys EA-8500?

No.
I build only for devices that I personally have (R7800, WNDR3700/v2/3800 and WRT3200ACM)

But you can freely download my R7800 build with scripts and patches, and just modify the device selection to EA8500 (in my .config.init) and then use the scripts to build it for EA8500 by yourself.

Just edit these lines:

# Use "make defconfig" to expand this to a full .config
CONFIG_TARGET_ipq806x=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ipq806x_generic=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ipq806x_generic_DEVICE_netgear_r7800=y
2 Likes

Are the stable openwrt-19.07 builds on kernel 4.19 or 4.14?

That one ...

1 Like

eventually, i did a big jump forward from r9945 to r12138
so, first time with -ct drivers
well, they did a veryy good improvement, also y samsung devices are ok but.. i have TERRIBLE wifi performance with my esp32 devices! average ping 1s (!!) with 30% of packets loss
is this a known behaviour? is there anything i could try?
thanks a lot

This might not work at all, but you can try setting both Fragmentation and CTS thresholds to 2346.

If that doesn't work, try 1564 / 1565 correspondingly.

If that doesn't work, try 1564 / 1564.

If that doesn't work, try 1564 and 512 combination.

But again, it might not help.

it seems disabling this option

"Disassociate On Low Acknowledgement"

fixed the esp32 connection.
Esp8266 still has some problems reconnecting after deep sleep..
sorry hnyman for the off topic