Build for Netgear R7800

Please use this topic only for questions related to this specific build from hnyman.

For questions related to other community builds, please open a new topic.

2 Likes

ok thanks :slight_smile:

We are not using the "baked in" cake, because not all targets have been moved to 4.19, yet.
Now ipq806x was moved to 4,19, so one more major target that uses 4.19.

Sooner or later @ldir will again push for the switch to baked-in cake, but so far too many targets have still been below 4.19.

And all this discussion about the possible new OpenWrt kernel versions is related to my current build by ...?

2 Likes

Does 160MHz work on master-r11734. I have an Intel card that supports 160MHz but the maximum I get is 866Mbps.
in gui I have something like this:

780.0 Mbit / s, 80MHz, VHT-MCS 8, VHT-NSS 2, Short GI
1560.0 Mbit / s, 160MHz, VHT-MCS 9, VHT-NSS 2
currently on channel 36 but I have also tried on others.
Can I change something to achieve these 160MHz?

And the second question on a connected usb 3 drive I have about 55MB / s download and 55MB / s upload. This is achieved after applying this:

echo 35> / sys / devices / system / cpu / cpufreq / ondemand / up_threshold
echo 10> / sys / devices / system / cpu / cpufreq / ondemand / sampling_down_factor

Can you achieve larger transfers?
Thank you in advance for your response :slight_smile:

For VHT160:

I've compiled build based on master-r11734-b085e0586f-20191220-ct however ended up with 62 MB sysupgrade image versus 23 MB based on test 4.19 build. Any ideas?

20191220 adds following libraries and utilities compared with test build. Are those required?
Anyway hnyman build size seams to not be affected therefore those might have been added with my additions.

CONFIG_PACKAGE_libatomic=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libgnutls=y
CONFIG_GNUTLS_DTLS_SRTP=y
CONFIG_GNUTLS_ALPN=y
CONFIG_GNUTLS_OCSP=y
CONFIG_GNUTLS_HEARTBEAT=y
CONFIG_GNUTLS_PSK=y
CONFIG_GNUTLS_ANON=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libgmp=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libnettle=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libtasn1=y

Plus new image seams to swap connected USB drives.

• Clean up your build env.
  • Prune your .config (or preferably start from a clean .config.init recipe like I do.

Kernel bump to 4.19 causes no such size explosion.

1 Like

That might actually be a real change due to 4.19 as Ansuel switched the usb driver at the same time. Quite possible that the new driver enumerates the usb devices differently.

Looks like those have been added as samba4 dependencies. Anyway I am always rebuilding whole environment.

In fact disk are not swapped (at least not with your build). Instead there seam to be changes to collectd config file processing:
collectd[7515]: Error: Parsing the config file failed!

How do you get rid of browsers rejecting Luci SSL certificate? I found a guide for doing this in OpenWRT but it's a thousand steps long. On my other router I have OpenWRT without SSL interface, and don't have this problem. Is it possible to easily downgrade Luci to non-ssl version and retain all the Luci modules (SQM, etc)?

Is there a way with this build to install nfs-utils post-flash?

I'm not able to because the hashes mismatch for the kernel when installing libdevmapper

The only way is to build your own image with that module enabled.

1 Like
  1. enable http and disable http to https redirect
  2. import certificate to every browser you are going to use. won't work for example on non-rooted android.
  3. acme and ddns (I am using duckdns)
1 Like

Since 4.19 has different setup for queues and those are already set to 3 you can put it in the universal way:

[ `uname -r | awk '{print int(substr($0,0,4)*100)}'` -ge 419 ] && {
	for file in /sys/class/net/*
	do
		echo 3 > $file"/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus"
		echo 3 > $file"/queues/tx-0/xps_cpus"
	done
}

Similar approach could be applied to IRQs.

output:

ash: write error: No such file or directory

To resolve:

for FILE in /sys/class/net/*; do [ -f "$FILE/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus" ] && echo 3 > $FILE"/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus"; [ -f "$FILE/queues/tx-0/xps_cpus" ] && echo 3 > $FILE"/queues/tx-0/xps_cpus"; done

@locojohn @perceival @RainGater

Can you guys please confirm that in order to get that performance improvement for 4.14 you put this in the local startup:
for FILE in /sys/class/net/*; do echo 3 > $FILE"/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus"; echo 3 > $FILE"/queues/tx-0/xps_cpus"; done

for 4.19 this:
for FILE in /sys/class/net/*; do [ -f "$FILE/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus" ] && echo 3 > $FILE"/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus"; [ -f "$FILE/queues/tx-0/xps_cpus" ] && echo 3 > $FILE"/queues/tx-0/xps_cpus"; done

thank you

Please take the generic R7800 tweaking discussion to the "R7800 exploration" thread, as those tweaks do not have anything specific to do with my build here.

3 Likes

I've checked with build based on latest hnyman's one and indeed there is not a problem with disk swap however no disks are properly mounted at all. /mnt/sdb1 points to some different device and is not listed with mount command:

/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset,cpu,cpuacct,blkio,memory,devices,freezer,net_cls,pids)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/ubi0_1 on /overlay type ubifs (rw,noatime,assert=read-only,ubi=0,vol=1)
overlayfs:/overlay on / type overlay (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/overlay/upper,workdir=/overlay/work)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)

Also trying to mount from the command line provides following result:

NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/sda1' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?

File system is ext4. Forcing file system is also not working.
Will try to test with pure hnyman's build as well.
4.19 test build is automounting USB drives without problems.