Build for Netgear R7800

"firstboot" and reboot is enough.

Regarding reboots, I have a R7800 and NBG6817 running the same build. Kernel 4.14 from master branch, so not the latest.

But I have an uptime of over 50 days on the R7800 - so it runs really well. No WLAN issues, no sporadic reboots. The R7800 is not WAN-facing, but setup as an "access point w/ extras".

The NBG6817 on the other hand has sporadic reboots, happening around once per week. I rarely see uptime above 14 days. There is no hardware issue, as the original firmware runs completely stable with 30+ days uptime.

I switched both devices and the reboots started to happen on R7800 aswell. I suspect it's either the jumbo frame bug or something WAN / PPPoE related.

I have high hopes in 4.19, so I will try it out these days and report back.

Just as a counter data point: I run my R7800 as a "dumb" AP behind an ERX router, pretty much all non-essential services disabled. It randomly reboots, in the lucky case, sometimes it just locks up and I have to pull the plug.

I've been running v4.19 on my nbg6817 for a couple of months now, no spurious reboots (but I've never seen those before either). At least the issue stmmac and jumbo frames haveapparently been fixed in v4.19.

Is R7800 supposed to move to 4.19 also? I'd love to finally have a stable build that does not freeze/reboot, ideally 4.19 + "old" firmware. I just need a stable AP with multiple SSIDs and VLANs, no other features. I had an older Netgear router that ran OpenWRT with an uptime of over a year before I had to unplug it for other reasons.

I have been running a build based off of this one but with the patch for 4.19 from this thread:

You should take the generic R7800 feature questions/discussion to the "R7800 exploration thread" which is meant for that kind of generic discussion about the device...

2 Likes

master-kernel4.19-test-r11597-2fedf023e4-20191127

I made a test build with the kernel 4.19 PR from @Ansuel
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/2472

4 Likes

Cool, how did you "cherry-pick" those patches? I tried but got an error, so I must be missing something.

I simply downloaded that commit from PR as a patch with wget and applied it.
No conflicts.

Just browse to the commit and you get the address. Add .patch to the end and you have an address to the commit as plain text patch.

2 Likes

I've added patch with -f switch but still can see several messages like the one below. Should I choose twice n?

The next patch would create the file target/linux/ipq806x/patches-4.19/0073-pinctrl-qom-use-scm_call-to-route-GPIO-irq-to-Apps.patch,
which already exists!  Assume -R? [n] 
Apply anyway? [n] 
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored

So how’s k4.19 looking so far? Currently traveling can’t risk trying it remotely but certainly feedbacks are appreciated

So far I've noticed several times Android being connected over WiFi but reporting no Internet until manually reconnected.
Edit: After reboot I wasn't able to replicate the issue so might not be kernel related.

So far I have noticed nothing special.

Finally got to give it a try, you're right.. about the same. Do you know if it uses the baked-in cake in k4.19 or the separate module? Also your k4.19 build script does it already handle all the patches that were mentioned, or do we still need to apply them manually?

Thank you.

we still use the separate module for cake sched

Been running this build for the past 2+ days ... but with the "old" firmware 10.4-3.10-00047 which @shelterx pointed out can be swapped in for "ct" firmware. Happy to report that it works well so far in terms of WiFi stability for what it seems my "special" wifi clients. No reboots/freezes yet but it's too early to be sure that kernel 4.19 solves them, I've had 4.14 go for a month without a reboot before but also days when it rebooted/froze several times within hours.

I just bought a brand new R7800 and tried to flash various versions of openwrt using tftp (Standard procedure, power on with reset button until white led blinks, then flash the FW) always ending in an infinite loop. (Orange light lights up, the the 4 lan lights blink with the orange light of, then orange comes on again, rinse and repeat forever). I reverted back to stock (R7800-V1.0.2.20 or R7800-V1.0.2.63_beta) about 6 times and all works fine there.

Firmwares that I tried ending in the infinite loop:
19.07/kong-ipq806x-generic-netgear_r7800-squashfs-factory
hnyman kernel4.19-test-r11607-c7fb12beb1-20191129
hnyman owrt1907-r10732-b177b180bb-20191123
openwrt-18.06.5-ipq806x-netgear_r7800-squashfs-factory.img

Working fine:
Netgear R7800-V1.0.2.20
Netgear R7800-V1.0.2.63_beta
Voxel's FW R7800-V1.0.2.72SF

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

Have you tried from stock firmware via the web interface? That's how I did it initially going from Netgear firmware -> OpenWRT.

Same here, did it from the web interface the first time.