Build for Netgear R7800

That's pretty cool. I am keeping that Kong build just in case I start using this router for WiFi. Wonder if DD-WRT is stabler than OWRT when you enable their version of NAT acceleration (SFE?). My OWRT build can hang after 6 days of that enabled. Sometimes.

What ath10k driver does DDWRT use that is stable compared to the one in OpenWRT?

Idk about DDWRT but afaik there are no other drivers than the ones that exists in linux by default, you can toy with the official firmwares in openwrt and see if you find one that's works for you.

The non-CT driver/fw should be quite stable in openwrt now tho'. I'm currently not experiencing issues with CT.

Even with the non-ct driver I still see crashes in dmesg :frowning:

r9627: dnsmasq keeps starting even though I have the service disabled. Any ideas what could be causing it? What is strange is that I'm stopping it and disabling in rc.local but the process is still there after a reboot. There is no dnsmasq in /etc/rc.d, so something else must be causing it to start.

Luci is also very slow, it just sits there spinning. If I restart uhttpd it's fine for a while but then back to being painfully slow.

Anyone else seeing this problem? Seems to happen in Chrome, Firefox looks OK. I tried a clean Chrome profile and same problem. Not sure if it's related to this change:

Another problem:
I installed bind-dig opkg, but can't run dig, any ideas?

# dig
Error relocating /usr/lib/libdns.so.1207: ENGINE_get_id: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libdns.so.1207: ENGINE_load_private_key: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libdns.so.1207: ENGINE_load_builtin_engines: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libdns.so.1207: ENGINE_set_default: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libdns.so.1207: ENGINE_free: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libdns.so.1207: ENGINE_load_public_key: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/lib/libdns.so.1207: ENGINE_by_id: symbol not found

Could be openssl 1.1.1 misbehaving with the engine config option. Apparently some packages have been compiled with engine support dependency while openssl itself is not.

Thank you. Hopefully it gets fixed in future pkg builds.
Any ideas for the slow Luci UI in Chrome? Not only slow, many times request never finish, they just time out, rendering the UI unusable in Chrome.

Time for a solution update on the issues I've been facing:

• Trying to disbable dnsmasq service but it was still running: turns out that calling /etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop and disable from /etc/rc.local at every boot causes this, dnsmasq starts running even though it was previously disabled and stopped. Not sure whether it's a bug in the init scripts. I just have to remember to do it once after a firmware upgrade as I don't know how else I can automate it short of building my own firmware.
  • Slow https UI/requests time out in Chrome only, but OK in Firefox, or plain http OK too: I was tired of accepting the self-signed TLS cert every time and didn't want to add it as an exception, so I decided to have my local CA and generate my own cert signed by it. I used this useful tool: https://github.com/FiloSottile/mkcert
    Now no more warnings from browsers and to my surprise it also fixed the Chrome issues, though I didn't think it would. There must have been something about that self-signed cert generated by OpenWRT that Chrome didn't like.

hello,
i can't get nginx to start with this build.
did i miss something?
the service is not starting but not giving any error, so i tried manually and i got this:

root@RUTTO:/etc/nginx# /usr/sbin/nginx -c /etc/nginx/nginx.conf
Error relocating /usr/sbin/nginx: ENGINE_load_private_key: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/sbin/nginx: ENGINE_set_default: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/sbin/nginx: ENGINE_free: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/sbin/nginx: ENGINE_by_id: symbol not found

thanks

edit to add: well, nginx with ssl, is it the problem?

openssl needs to be compiled with engine support

@ansuel
Do you see that as a hard new requirement for nginx, or does that only happen because some openssl in buildbot is now complied with engine support and nginx compliation detects it.

(There are some packages that currently erroneously force engine support to be enabled in openssl in buildbot, although engine support is not on by default. That likely leads also nginx to be compiled with engine support in buildbot, although that does not match the intended openssl defaults). See my analysis in
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/8341#issuecomment-478322454

i have r7800 and as it doesn't have any hardware crypto i also disabled engine support for openssl

Got the same problem with nginx crashing on boot. By enabling engine support nginx starts to work again.

will check if nginx get compiled with engine support.

i suppose this is something i can only fix building the image by myself..
am i wrong?

checking the compilation option and can't find any way to enable/disable engine support for nginx so... openssl problem

yes for now

that's bad
i don't want to expose my local surveillance cams with no ssl
do you think this is something that is gonna be fixed soon?
thanks

yes
as i think this is broken in master build

Other packages are broken the same way, such as bind-dig

well i'll try to wait some days and see what happens :slight_smile:
it seems this build is working much better than the previous one i had (well, it was from late 2018..) with my iptv, so i don't want to revert back :slight_smile:
Thanks