Build failure on gettext-full ... any thoughts to fix?

I am getting a build failure on gettext-full ... any ideas what might be to blame?

% make -j1 V=s
make[9]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1/gettext-tools/src'
/usr/bin/env bash ../libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=link /scratch/union/staging_dir/host/bin/gcc  -O2 -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/host/include -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/hostpkg/include -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/target-x86_64_musl/host/include -DPIC -fPIC  -L/scratch/union/staging_dir/host/lib -L/scratch/union/staging_dir/hostpkg/lib -L/scratch/union/staging_dir/target-x86_64_musl/host/lib -o msgfmt msgfmt-msgfmt.o msgfmt-write-mo.o msgfmt-write-java.o msgfmt-write-csharp.o msgfmt-write-resources.o msgfmt-write-tcl.o msgfmt-write-qt.o msgfmt-write-desktop.o msgfmt-write-xml.o ../../gettext-runtime/intl/msgfmt-hash-string.o libgettextsrc.la   
OpenWrt-libtool: link: /scratch/union/staging_dir/host/bin/gcc -O2 -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/host/include -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/hostpkg/include -I/scratch/union/staging_dir/target-x86_64_musl/host/include -DPIC -fPIC -o msgfmt msgfmt-msgfmt.o msgfmt-write-mo.o msgfmt-write-java.o msgfmt-write-csharp.o msgfmt-write-resources.o msgfmt-write-tcl.o msgfmt-write-qt.o msgfmt-write-desktop.o msgfmt-write-xml.o ../../gettext-runtime/intl/msgfmt-hash-string.o  -L/scratch/union/staging_dir/host/lib -L/scratch/union/staging_dir/hostpkg/lib -L/scratch/union/staging_dir/target-x86_64_musl/host/lib ./.libs/libgettextsrc.a /scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib/.libs/libgettextlib.a -lacl -lattr /scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1/libtextstyle/lib/.libs/libtextstyle.a -lm -lncurses -lc
/usr/bin/ld: /scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib/.libs/libgettextlib.a(rpl_la-encoding.o): in function `xmlIconvWrapper':
encoding.c:(.text+0xed9): undefined reference to `libiconv'
/usr/bin/ld: /scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib/.libs/libgettextlib.a(rpl_la-encoding.o): in function `xmlFindCharEncodingHandler__internal_alias.part.0':
encoding.c:(.text+0x2036): undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
/usr/bin/ld: encoding.c:(.text+0x2044): undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
/usr/bin/ld: encoding.c:(.text+0x20b4): undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
/usr/bin/ld: encoding.c:(.text+0x213f): undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
/usr/bin/ld: encoding.c:(.text+0x2184): undefined reference to `libiconv_close'
/usr/bin/ld: encoding.c:(.text+0x218c): undefined reference to `libiconv_close'
/usr/bin/ld: encoding.c:(.text+0x2199): undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
/usr/bin/ld: /scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib/.libs/libgettextlib.a(rpl_la-encoding.o): in function `xmlCharEncCloseFunc__internal_alias':
encoding.c:(.text+0x37aa): undefined reference to `libiconv_close'
/usr/bin/ld: encoding.c:(.text+0x37fc): undefined reference to `libiconv_close'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[9]: *** [Makefile:3627: msgfmt] Error 1
make[9]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1/gettext-tools/src'
make[8]: *** [Makefile:3417: all] Error 2
make[8]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1/gettext-tools/src'
make[7]: *** [Makefile:2817: all-recursive] Error 1
make[7]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1/gettext-tools'
make[6]: *** [Makefile:2685: all] Error 2
make[6]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1/gettext-tools'
make[5]: *** [Makefile:407: all-recursive] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1'
make[4]: *** [Makefile:363: all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1'
make[3]: *** [Makefile:190: /scratch/union/build_dir/hostpkg/gettext-0.21.1/.built] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/package/libs/gettext-full'
time: package/libs/gettext-full/host-compile#0.49#0.32#0.82
    ERROR: package/libs/gettext-full [host] failed to build.
make[2]: *** [package/Makefile:127: package/libs/gettext-full/host/compile] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union'
make[1]: *** [package/Makefile:123: /scratch/union/staging_dir/target-x86_64_musl/stamp/.package_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union'
make: *** [/scratch/union/include/toplevel.mk:233: world] Error 2

Did you even try an internet search?

I searched here and found this from May/2023. Do you have a helpful link?

Did you read that thread?

I did. The step-wise building failed.

% make target/linux/compile
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/scripts/config'
make[2]: 'conf' is up to date.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/scripts/config'
make[4]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/target/linux'
make[5]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/target/linux/x86'
make[6]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/target/linux/x86/image'
make[6]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/target/linux/x86/image'
make[5]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/target/linux/x86'
make[4]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/target/linux'
time: target/linux/prereq#0.08#0.07#0.16
 make[1] target/linux/compile
 make[2] -C target/linux compile

% make package/gettext-full/compile
make[2]: Entering directory '/scratch/union/scripts/config'
make[2]: 'conf' is up to date.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/scratch/union/scripts/config'
 make[1] package/gettext-full/compile
 make[2] -C package/devel/gperf host-compile
 make[2] -C package/libs/libunistring host-compile
 make[2] -C package/libs/libiconv-full host-compile
 make[2] -C package/libs/toolchain compile
 make[2] -C package/libs/libxml2 host-compile
 make[2] -C package/libs/gettext-full host-compile
 make[2] -C package/libs/libunistring compile
 make[2] -C package/libs/zlib compile
    ERROR: package/libs/gettext-full [host] failed to build.

I have the same problem building for RPis.
I had to find the correct order so dependencies are loaded before my personal add-ons but before the build starts into other scripts.

Seems clear you need to find the sweet spot for your add-ons.

I don't know Linux and I'm not going to do another search for you (I found the same thread before I asked you) but I'm sure the answer is out there and you have the skills to feed yourself.

I tend to rebuild images on each kernel release since I am the primary updater of OW patches. I haven't run across this particular issue before so I am thinking it is something recent rather than an old bug regarding build order. I am happy to be corrected.

Try an exhaustive search.

I'll race you.

Seriously, just try.

It's working again without any intervention... race condition or something.

I think some of the servers were down/flaky yesterday and some packages were failing to download,

You were not the only one having trouble.

Sorry about yesterday, I was crass.