Build Error on mainline missing dependency

ERROR: package/utils/jsonfilter failed to build

I have succesfully built images from MASTER over the last week or so - but today after getting latest

git pull
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
make menuconfig
make V=s

I get a build error and w new missing dependency - but I can't see why? - can anyone help (nothing changed menuconfig (but I did try adding librt as that looked like a dependency - but same result...)

\find /home/jon/openwrt/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/jsonfilter-2018-02-04-c7e938d6/ipkg-mips_24kc/jsonfilter -name 'CVS' -o -name '.svn' -o -name '.#*' -o -name '*~'| xargs -r rm -rf
**Package jsonfilter is missing dependencies for the following libraries:**
**libubox.so**
make[3]: *** [Makefile:41: /home/jon/openwrt/bin/packages/mips_24kc/base/jsonfilter_2018-02-04-c7e938d6-1_mips_24kc.ipk] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/jon/openwrt/package/utils/jsonfilter'
time: package/utils/jsonfilter/compile#1.41#0.57#2.08
    ERROR: package/utils/jsonfilter failed to build.
make[2]: *** [package/Makefile:114: package/utils/jsonfilter/compile] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jon/openwrt'
make[1]: *** [package/Makefile:108: /home/jon/openwrt/staging_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/stamp/.package_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jon/openwrt'
make: *** [/home/jon/openwrt/include/toplevel.mk:230: world] Error 2

I believe it's an current issue with current mainline/snapshots, started with yesterday (20210215) snapshot
There are quite a few recent changes regarding ubox and ABI version, probably broke this

Another related thread:
Imagebuilder (snapshot 2021-02-15) failed with Unknown package ‘block-mount’

2 Likes

Try cleaning up maybe.

2 Likes

thanks @anomeome sorry for noob clarification - you mean run 'make clean'?

I would start with

rm -rf bin tmp build_dir
make defconfig

if that don't get the job done make dirclean perhaps.

1 Like

thanks @dominick-han and @anomeome - all fine indeed it looks like it was recent changes now fixed with another git pull, cleaned build environment anyway but now building fine again

Try with make package/utils/jsonfilter/clean and make package/utils/jsonfilter/compile,I met the same problem,after exec these,everything is ok.

1 Like

I'm suffering the same error with a RPi4 build, I've tried the above steps but get the same error, I guess it's best to leave it a day or two and try again and see if the problem is fixed.

Things are building fine here, and if it is just one package as above example

make package/utils/jsonfilter/{clean,compile} V=sc

to force cleanup and build with some extra output.

3 Likes

Thank you, I'll try that now...

In general, always do "make clean" before a build, especially if you have already got failures.

Additionally, when the package metadata and its handling rules have changed (like now), it may also help do delete the contents of tmp/ and let the build system to re-create the package data. Directory tmp/ in buildroot contains several semi-hidden .package* database files, that may have now somehow sneakily invalid. (similar may happen e.g. when a package is moved from OpenWrt main repo to the Github feeds, or something similar)

2 Likes

That fixed it, many thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.