Budget gaming router

How’s the WiFi on this router? I’ve read that Linksys wrt routers WiFi drivers isn’t getting support or something along those lines, not too sure.

if you can buy from ebay here in the states, you can get the r6220 from netgear used for about 20 dollars US . that is THE one to get for less than 75-100 meg with sqm in my opinion. there are a lot of them on there too, always

Are they actually forcing you? Lots of ISP's use sneaky tricks to make people BELIEVE that they are being forced to use the backdoor'd junk, but with a little bit of investigation, it often turns out that you can scrap the spy box and use your own openwrt in its place.

Bell Canada, for example, requires that everything be tagged with VLAN 35. Once you set that up, then its either straight up DHCP, or PPPoE (depending on which of their services you use) and off to the races.

Apparently it depends on who you speak to. The answer I had always received was to just plug it into their router.
I contacted them today and they said they would give me the username and password to connect using mine.

1 Like

The routers I've seen in Brazil (mostly crappy Intelbras stuff) allow you make a configuration backup. It's in plain text, which makes it easy to find the PPPoE credentials therein.

3 Likes

It's true Marvell stopped supporting the 'mwlwifi' open source drivers so wifi will no longer gets updates. That said they work fine for me, there are some problems with wifi IoT devices and they don't support Mesh or MU-MIMO, otherwise fast and stable. I would avoid Marvell in the distant future when I replace this with a WiFi 6 or 7 device, there is really nothing that competes with this right now.

The rest of the router is top tier performance in OpenWrt. Get 500Mbit/s SQM and 80MB/s USB 3.0 Storage with my 3TB external network drive, faster than most NAS. Get straight A+ test results including bufferbloat on dslreports.com/speedtest which is critical for me since I game too. Happy with my WRT32X overall.

On a Zbtlink ZBT-WE1226, I get these results on a 50/10Mbps DSL line:
SQM: 0/10000/pppoe, layercake, 8byte overhead
50.3/9.77 Mbps, A+/A+/A+/A Overall/Bufferbloat/Quality/Speed

27/34/28 msec idle/ld/ul avg
27/52/30 msec idle/ld/ul max
Streams 8/6 d/u
Browser CPU fast (47269)

There are only 2 LAN ports, but the price is around $20US.

Is this the v2 one?
https://www.amazon.com.br/Roteador-Gigabit-Archer-C6-Roteadores/dp/B07GVR9TG7/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_pt_BR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=roteador+archer+c6&qid=1582728641&sr=8-1

I'm not sure if there even is a V1. Every discussion of an Archer C6 is the V2.

Something with an MT7621 chip like the ZBT WE-1326 would be my choice though. The use case of 100 Mbps ISP and gaming is likely too much for a single core.

Sadly it is not available here in Brazil.

The RPi4 is available worldwide no? It's by far the best overall router at the moment in terms of speed, space, wide availability, network performance, and cost. But doesn't really do access point. So if you have a wifi enabled device already, dedicate it to an access point and get the RPi 4.

It costs around 100$ here. 25$ more expensive than the Acher C6

It's dramatically more capable particularly for SQM. It can SQM a full gigabit connection, the C6 has a single core, so it will fight over interrupts for packet processing and handling the WiFi and soforth. You will get dramatically better SQM performance from the Pi4. As an investment it will last easily 5 to 7 years routing anything you can throw at it in that time frame. The C6 not necessarily.

Adding power supply and a case is another 25$. What else would I need? Might be able to et i for the same price as the Archer but that will take a couple of months.

You will want a smart switch, or if you have an existing older router with a VLAN capable switch, use that as your smart switch and AP.

It depends on how you're buying it, whether it's in a bundle included or not, but you also need a micro-SD card, 16 or 32 gigs are PLENTY. That's $7 here in the US.

1 Like

Yep! That's the one I have.

I have an archer a9 which doesn't have openwrt support. I'd like to have openwrt features in my network. Is it good to go for an
Isp modem->raspberry Pi 4(openwrt)->archer a9(AP mode)

Will this setup let me use sqm/cake features on my entire network?

I'd like to utilise SQM for all the archer a9 wifi clients.

Does pi4 openwrt do swm for all the wifi connected devices in my archer a9(Access point mode)?
Is this possible?

So, in that set-up, SQM will nicely work to debloat your internet access, and that will also affect the wifi clients, AS long as your wifi rates are considerably higher than your WAN rate. Otherwise you might encounter wifi-bloat and that is not something that SQM on the router can fix. That said, even on the a9 SQM could not do much for you, to solve that issue, the AQM needs move into the wifi stack, like in the case of Linux's ath9k, ath1K and I believe mt76 wifi drivers. I have no idea what tp-link uses on their own OS version.

1 Like

How about the interference between the inbuilt wifi and the usb3 ethernet adapter?

What's the difference I will have between

1. Getting archer c7 after selling my archer a9, and installing openwrt on the c7

2. Using raspberry pi4 +tplink usb 3 ethernet adapter+ stock a9

How will be the firewall and sqm cake in these scenarios?

Moving sqm to wifi stack, does this mean I'd have to go for an archer c7?

My internet is 150Mbps/75Mbps and I'd like to upgrade to a faster plan

No idea, but the RPI4B's wifi is really weak and I would at best use it as a maintenance connection to the RPI, I would not even consider using that in AP mode. But as I have no RPI myself, I am not speaking out of experience, so take what I say with a grain of salt...

That should allow you, if yooun install a snapshot of OpenWrt master to enable airtime fairness which includes some FQ AQM in the wifi stack and should result in decent wifi latency even with strutting loads. But the c7 is too weak for your WAN link, so I hope this is always in addition to use the RPI as primary SQM router?

If ou manage to configure the a9 as pure AP (so no firewall and no NAT) your wifi performance will be limited by what the stock a9 firmware gives you. I have no experience, so try if it is sufficient your are set, otherwise the c7 route seems like a decent alternative.

SQM will not care much, only if you want to use per-internal-IP isolation (which is a good idea) then running the secondary a9 in full router mode is going to treat all wifi users like one internal IP address, so probably not optimal.

Well, you are technically not moving SQM to the wifi stack, it is just about integration of a similar latency conscious AQM into the wifi stack. But yes, you will need an OpenWrt supported router with either an ath10K or ath9K radio.

This is already too much for a c7, so just using a c7 is not an option, let alone after the upgrade. The raspberry 4B however seems to be good up to 1 gigabit (when it gets limited by its gigabit ethernet interface).

1 Like