BTHub 5a reduced VDSL speed and no vectoring

Heat will increase the resistance of a conductor like coper or aluminium, but that effect should be relative mild. Changes inside a cabinet with mechanical connectors seems more likely (also because the temperature changesswings inside a cabinet will be larger than for cables in the earth).

No idea what xDSL is, but please try the go-dsl thingy I linked earlier, that will work on a number of different DSL modems, so might work with the EE modem you have.

1 Like

There you have your modem telling you it lost sync, but not why...

Sadly I can't build it with go1.13 on linux/amd64:

build 3e8.eu/go/dsl/cmd: cannot load embed: malformed module path "embed": missing dot in first path element

Would you rather I open a github issue?

I would install a more recent go, like 1.18 or 1.19. Or try to download and run one of the ready made binaries under:

Also maybe @janh could say whether go 1.13 should work?

1 Like

Here we go:

Authenticating… done
Loading data… done

State:    Showtime
            Mode:    VDSL2 Profile 17a
          Uptime:    34 minutes

Remote:    Broadcom 12.0.28 (192.28)
           Modem:    Infineon 5.7.9.9.0.6

Actual rate:       59068 kbit/s      10070 kbit/s 
 Attainable rate:       60773 kbit/s      10084 kbit/s 
         MINEFTR:       55285 kbit/s          - kbit/s 

Bitswap:          on                on        
   Rate adaption:         off               off        

Interleaving:        0.13 ms              0 ms     
             INP:        49.0 symbols       0.0 symbols
  Retransmission:          on               off        

Vectoring:         off               off        

Attenuation:        21.1 dB           30.3 dB     
      SNR margin:         3.5 dB            6.3 dB     
  Transmit power:        13.3 dBm           7.3 dBm    

RTX TX Count:           -                 0        
     RTX C Count:      581665                 -        
    RTX UC Count:       79072                 -        

FEC Count:           0                 0        
       CRC Count:           2                 1        

ES Count:           1                 1        
       SES Count:           0                 0        
1 Like

Thanks, now try the GUI (dsl-gui) and also show the spectra ;)...

Here is an example from my link:

Sadly I can't, the ssh key is password protected, and I keep getting this:

failed to load data from device: ssh: handshake failed: ssh: unable to authenticate, attempted methods [none publickey], no supported methods remain

That's even though my ssh agent already has the key in session.

I had the same issue. But the newest code works for me. It asks for my passphrase and once I enter that it works. However you need to set-up passwordless login to the modem first...

There is no SSH agent support at the moment. However, if it is working from the command line, the GUI should work as well. If it doesn't, you can open a issue on Github.

(If it is just about the graphs, then you don't necessarily need the GUI, as they are saved to files when using the command line variant.)

According to a press release from Infineon, deployment started directly with VDSL2 in 2006.

This was what I was interested in seeing, mainly the SNR and bitloading spectra, ideally for both the HH5A and the EE modem (if that can be queried at all), to see whether on the DSL level there are differences. If these are available via CLI access I guess @RubyQuby, please look for the
dsl_snr.svg, dsl_bits.svg files and upload them somewhere and post a link (the forum does not seem to allow .svg files as images)

Thanks for the info. So it indeed looks like the BTHub is reaching the VDSL2 line speed over Ethernet, but not over WiFi. This could happen because WiFi is more CPU-taxing. So we need to reduce the CPU usage by the NIC and DSL drivers and by the firewall, to make room for the WiFi driver.

To resolve this, try the following steps:

1. Enable software flow offloading in the firewall settings.
  2. Enable packet steering. Alternatively (which may be better or worse), install irqbalance and reboot the router.

Upload images were auto-converted to PNG. I have no idea what it is I'm looking at, but hope it sheds some light.

https://i.postimg.cc/mgkSqVYp/dsl-20220812-171728-qln.png
https://i.postimg.cc/HWScKm6H/dsl-20220812-171728-snr.png
https://i.postimg.cc/QVGJTr9F/dsl-20220812-171728-bits.png
https://i.postimg.cc/3rZdPvFP/dsl-20220812-171728-hlog.png

My question is now; what can I do to improve the speed? Try different firmware blobs? Is there a guide on how to do this? I have witnessed speeds of 65/10 and even 68/10 with the EE Router, so I'm assuming it has to be the firmware blob that limits this?

I've turned off the Wifi after @moeller0 suggested to do so because I have a secondary router I'm actually using for most services which can handle all that. Can the BT Hub handle multi-wan load balancing if I decide to get a second WAN connection?

Of course. Just configure the second WAN and use mwan3 to fail-over or balance. Without SQM, with software flow offloading enabled, and with irqbalance installed, it is good up to 100 Mbps for a normal Ethernet WAN.

1 Like

With 80/8 plan and FB7362Sl with DSA build . I'm able to reach ~45Mbit wifi with SW offload, packtet steering and wifi interrupt send to 2nd core (echo 2 > /proc/irq/144/smp_affinity ). xrx200 Is too slow for pppoe+vlan faster than 30-40Mbit . Modem bridge is the only solution for me

1 Like

Are you using the stock firmware blob?

No .I'm on 5.9.1.4.0.7 with is the recent fw from FB7490 . I have no vectoring line so it's quite basic

1 Like

Quick update;

I've switched to 5.9.1.4.0.7 and I seem to be getting the same Data rates, 63.689 up / 10.815 down.
The actual Speedtest is at 43/9.6 but that could be the server or the time of the day.

I don't know if the EE router is capable of achieving better Data rates but I have seen better speedtest results.

I'm quite bothered by the frequent random DSL dropouts; I think that's because of the BT Hub. The EE router would only drop out once per day, usually around 1:30 to 2:00 PM.

At this point I think I'll get a Three 4G Broadband hub (it's a Huawei) and bridge it to my main (internal) Linksys router, and do some load balancing and add it as a fail over. I'm also thinking of removing VLAN and firewall from the BT Hub, and just bridging it too.

1 Like

You will need to keep the provider VLAN on the DSL link IIUC.

This both sounds bad, even once per day is infuriating...
I used the BTHH5A successfully before my ISP introduced Vectoring, then it started to drop connections somewhere from multiple times per day to once per week (more of the former and less of the latter). I removed 12m of not-necessary telephnone wiring and placed the modem as close to where the wires enter my appartment, but that was not enough so I switched to a broadcom based modem, which resulted in a stable link. Only once @janh started to post his patches I tried the HH5A again, and lo and behold, Jan really fixed the stability issues. Now that HH5A as bridged modem is just as stubbornly boring and stable as the broadcom zyxel modem.

In short, I feel your pain.

1 Like

This is what I keep getting. Entirely randomly many times per day. I've no clue what's causing it.

Thu Aug 18 17:41:19 2022 kern.warn kernel: [608406.995632] leave showtime
Thu Aug 18 17:41:19 2022 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'dsl0' link is down
Thu Aug 18 17:41:19 2022 daemon.notice netifd: VLAN 'dsl0.101' link is down
Thu Aug 18 17:41:19 2022 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' has link connectivity loss
Thu Aug 18 17:41:19 2022 daemon.info pppd[7412]: Terminating on signal 15
Thu Aug 18 17:41:19 2022 daemon.info pppd[7412]: Connect time 157.0 minutes.
Thu Aug 18 17:41:19 2022 daemon.info pppd[7412]: Sent 863210815 bytes, received 1809918664 bytes.
Thu Aug 18 17:41:19 2022 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'pppoe-wan' link is down
Thu Aug 18 17:41:19 2022 daemon.notice netifd: Network alias 'pppoe-wan' link is down
Thu Aug 18 17:41:24 2022 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' is now down

I'll remove all functionality from it and just use it as a bridge and DSL modem.
What patches has @jahn released?
It kicked me out for good with the new firmware so I've gone back to the old one now, and I'm trying to set it up bridged.