BT HomeHub 5a - Network device is not present

Just bought this router off ebay, with OpenWrt installed, but cannot make ADSL annex B to work. There is an error "Network device is not present" on Interfaces screen for dsl0. Same phone cable works my current TP-LINK TD-W8980 (also with OpenWrt). Already tried to reflash and also tried several firmwares, but no luck. On overview page is see DSL line state is DOWN. In system log, there is no mention that firmware has been loaded, so I'm curious if it's loading or not. Can it be, that the cable is somehow different from UK? Mine has only two wires. Or is it something else? Many thanks for any help.

So I can reply to myself. Annex B is not supported on ADSL by the BT Homehub 5a.

I really don't think that is true. I always successfully used it with Annex B but one needs to use the proper firmware for that. See e.g. the following post from me:

For VDSL2 vectoring to work you will need to deploy suitable firmware as well. I used the one extracted from fritzbox-7490-labor-67799 (e.g. squashfs-root/lib/modules/dsp_vr9/vr9-B-dsl.bin) copied to /lib/firmware/ on the HomeHub and referred to in the LuCI DSL UI which boils down to the following in /etc/config/network:

config dsl 'dsl'
	option ds_snr_offset '0'
	option line_mode 'vdsl'
	option xfer_mode 'ptm'
	option annex 'b'
	option firmware '/lib/firmware/vr9-B-dsl.bin'

That worked with my provider Green behind some Swisscom last mile equipment.

yes VSDL will work, but I’m on ADSL

Ok, yeah, I never tried ADSL, sorry. I believe in Switzerland they decommissioned ADSL more than 5 years ago...

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.