Brigde LAN WAN

Hi,
I have been browsing to find a setup for a Bridge between LAN and WAN. I might missed an article..
I did try different setups(include the WAN interfce in the br-lan bridge and include a new bridge using routed) but with no success. I have disabled DHCP and WiFi interface. The wan connection are using a USB connection to a 4G modem (/dev/cdc-vdm0 and qmi protocol) and the LuCi interface is also available.
Basically I want to bridge eth1 and wwan0 - any suggestions?
Network configuration file:

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
        option ifname 'eth1'
        option type 'bridge'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '192.168.2.1'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'

config interface 'wan'
        option auto 'false'
        option ifname 'wwan0'
        option defaultroute 'true'
        option proto 'qmi'
        option device '/dev/cdc-wdm0'
        option apn 'internet'
        option ipv6 'false'
        option modes 'lte,umts,cdma'

Are you sure you know what you are doing...? Does the other end on the WAN connection expect you to connect many devices over a single line? Are you connecting to an intranet, or are they supposed to provide you with many public addresses?

2 Likes

Bridging to a wireless WAN device is almost certainly going to fail as all the consumer plans I've ever been aware of involve a single IPv4 and/or a single IPv6 address. In many situations, the IPv4 address, if present, if firmly "locked away" behind carrier-controlled NAT and is not accessible for incoming connections.

With a single IPv4 address, local NAT is the typical way of providing service to multiple hosts.

With a single IPv6 address, you're pretty much out of luck for using the connection for multiple devices without some type of tunneling that you configure, such as an IPv6 VPN. Such configuration is typically well beyond most home users' capabilities.

3 Likes

I can see I was not clear. I have one WAN connection and one LAN connection. So it is one2one bridge. As I mentioned DHCP and WiFi has been disabled and there is one lan connection "eth1".

Both your messages give me the same information... either I am still not understanding what you want to do, or my first impression is still valid. If you wan to bridge the LAN and WAN interfaces that are described in the configuration file that you posted, then read jeff's post carefully.