Bridging one of the WiFi radios to WAN

I need to separate a guest WiFi from my internal network. The router upstream from me is happy to issue additional IP addresses.

So what I want to do is bridge one of the three radios on my R8000 to the WAN port.

But when I do that - the guest WiFi stops working.

I am guessing I need to create a wan bridge and attach both the wan port and the radio to it, but I cannot seem to find a way to do that using luci.

How do I do this?

Is the guest WiFi created by your openwrt router? And is it working with a wired connection currently? If so, what is the purpose of adding a WiFi uplink?

I am not sure what you mean but let me explain what I am trying to achieve in a bit more detail.

• WAN is on the WAN port on the router.
  • LAN is on the 4 wired ports (eth0-eth3) on the router + wlan0 and wlan2, and these are all glued via br-lan bridge
  • I want the guest (insecure) wlan1 to be bridged to WAN rather than br-lan

I know I could achieve this trivially with 2 routers, but obviously I would rather do it with just 1.

This should be easy. The connection should not be bridged with the wan. It should be routed. The firewall is used to allow the routing to the wan but prohibit connections between the lan and the guest network. Have you followed the guest WiFi tutorial?

Feel free to post your configuration for review and assistance:

Please copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/dhcp
cat /etc/config/firewall
2 Likes

Actually one thing that is not clear is if you are using multiple routers, and if the openwrt one in question is operating as a dumb ap. If this is the case, the process is a bit different.

1 Like

The Guest WiFi howto is exactly what I needed, have it all working now. Thank you. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.