Bricked E1200 v2 with DHCP client

Hello everyone,

Today I flashed a openwrt 18 image on my E1200v2. I then set the lan interface to use DHCP client as the protocol. Now I cannot access the router in any way. The failsafe mode doesn't activate by pressing any of the buttons when booting. What can I do?

The easiest way...if you have another router, plug the LAN of the OpenWrt router into the LAN of the other. Also, plug in your computer (or connect it to the WiFi). You should get an IP on LAN, and therefore be able to access your LuCI web GUI/SSH.

1 Like

I tried connecting it to another router with openwrt but it doesn't seem to get an ip.

is there any option on the working router I should change?

No, don't make changes. Your working router isn't the one broken.

Then it doesn't seem you changed your LAN to DHCP, then. You should continue to attempt fail-safe or reset. If that doesn't work, you may have to access the serial port.

1. Connect via serial

How should I go about doing that?

I realize that I have to make a custom cable, just what is the pinout and where do I connect it?

https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/linksys_e1200_2#serial

I'm not sure it needs a "custom" cable, though.

Okay, so I dissasembled my router, soldered on some wires on the serial vias and used a CH340 as a serial adapter. Finally, I can communicate with the router!!
Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Glad you got it working. Please consider making the relevant post as the solution.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.