[BPI-R2] Recent snapshots break CPU temperature monitoring

Recent snapshots of OpenWrt seem to break the MT7623 CPU temperature monitoring in at least the BPI-R2 (my U7623 is in bits and not usable to test ATM).

I noticed first in LUCI that the CPU thermal page was locked at zero. This seems right from the sensor.
From 22.02.03:

root@OpenWrt:/sys# cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

Recent SNAPSHOT:

root@OpenWrt:/sys# cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

Has the CPU temp sensor been moved to a kmod?

Maybe something changed a bit?

Here i get for (AX3600 not Mediatek!):

ls -1 /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/type | xargs -I % sh -c "echo % ; cat %"

/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/type
nss-top-thermal
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1/type
nss0-thermal
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone10/type
wcss-phyb0-thermal
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone11/type
wcss-phyb1-thermal
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone2/type
nss1-thermal
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone3/type
wcss-phya0-thermal
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone4/type
wcss-phya1-thermal
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone5/type
cpu0-thermal
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone6/type
cpu1-thermal
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone7/type
cpu2-thermal
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone8/type
cpu3-thermal
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone9/type
cluster-thermal

So it could be that zone0 is not for the cpu and its value is empty for another reason. E. g. not supported.

You could also try:

ls -1 /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp | xargs -I % sh -c "echo % ; cat %"

Thanks, yes, I did look for other temps. It's the only one in the /sys tree.

In SNAPSHOT:

root@OpenWrt:/sys# ls -1 /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/type | xargs -I % sh -c "echo % ; cat %"
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/type
cpu-thermal
root@OpenWrt:/sys# ls -1 /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp | xargs -I % sh -c "echo % ; cat %"
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

I did wonder if there were kernel mods that weren't being installed in snapshot, but I compared the kmods in release to snapshot and I don't see anything that jumps out at me.

That looks wrong indeed for a quad core cpu.

I have found a commit were you are involved (at least I guess its you) but not merged so far:

Yes, I was involved in the early days of that (others ran with it when I had eye surgery). It's not to do with sensors, just the thermal CPU throttling. I looked at it, it's benign with respect to sensors (changes the trip point where CPU throttling occurs because MediaTek's original trip points were insane).

Well, the only guess I have left is that a kernel bump removed some patches which are now upstream included. Maybe for the bcm27xx target something got removed also and causing an error now? So other devices like Belkin RT3200 with mt based cpus are not affected.

EDIT: I got a bit confused and mixed up things. The Pro is Rockchip. While non-pro isn't.

It should be fixed in the most recent snapshots.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.