Bond Interfaces TP-Link AC2600

Hi ,
I have questions regarding Bonding Interface.

Before I ask my question , I try to explain what i wanna do.
I have 2 TP-Link AC2600 and a HP V1910 Switch.
One Ac2600 (has the wan connection) + HP Switch is located at the attic and the other AC2600 is in the ground-floor. The floors are connected via 2 Cat 6 cable.

I would like bond 2 ethernet ports of each TP-Link with the HP Switch. Also i wanna connect device(PlayStation, TV , Notebook) with the tp-link in the ground-floor. In Future in wanna implements VLans, at the moment only vlan1 lan and vlan2 for wan.

Now to my question, the AC2600 has an Atheros QCA8337 switch and 5 Gbit Ports. In Openwrt the are 2 interfaces present (eth0 and eth1).
Does 4 of the ports share the bandwidth from the switch ?

I successfully added eth0 and eth1 to a new created bond0 device, after that it wasnt possible for me anymore to use eth0/1 , I could only use the bond0 device.

I doesnt got it, how could I connect a device(playstation) to the tp-link (ground-floor) without binding that port to the bond0 device ? If i would connect the device to bond0.1 at least 50% percent of the pakages get lost (round-robin) got lost because the device is only connect via 1 wire, or im wrong with that idea ?

Best regards
Sebastian

It’s more that the switch can distribute the bandwidth of the two interfaces than the other way around. No matter how you slice or paste it together those two are all you’ve got.

Hi jeff

so if I would like to use bond it isnt possible anymore to connect an single ethernet device like a notebook ?

Expect I would extend the TP-link with an external card like usb network card ?

How a bond works under Linux if one of the interfaces involved is not connected is something that I haven't explored. I would hope that it does something reasonable like routing all the packets over the single line.

If you bond eth0 and eth1 together, then you don't have an interface for WAN, if that is important for you.

This is because there isn't a path from the CPU's interfaces directly to each of the switch ports on most (all?) consumer, all-in-one wireless routers. You typically have one or two [R]GMII interfaces that connect the CPU to the switch.

If you add an other Ethernet interface with something like a USB dongle, yes, then you could use that for WAN or the like. Performance will depend on if USB 2 or USB 3, how well that is supported, and CPU load handling three interfaces. From what I have read (and no personal experience), I would be surprised if an IPQ806x can handle gigabit line rates without the co-processor cores enabled (which they aren't at this time, as far as I know).

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.