Boardfarm qemu network setup

Hi all,

I was hoping to run some tests using simulated OpenWRT devices. Could anyone please provide me with some details on the initial network settings needed in the host computer where the boardfarm is initially configured? Since I am working from home I do not have a physical device with me so I am planning to use a qemu emulated device. I am unable to run the qemu command listed below to connect to the virtualized device. Their example configuration uses docker images as LAN and WAN clients. Any help would be much appreciated.

Boardfarm - https://github.com/lgirdk/boardfarm

Qemu command used in boardfarm to - sudo qemu-system-i386 -m 256 -nographic --enable-kvm -netdev tap,id=wan,ifname=${wan_iface} -device e1000,netdev=wan -netdev tap,id=lan,ifname=${lan_iface} -device e1000,netdev=lan

Best regards,
harry

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure I understand. So I just need to run the script you have posted? Sorry if I'm a noob for asking. I'm very new to qemu and openwrt in general.

start small with some basic qemu guides. typically, in addition to qemu binaries for each "arch"... you need;

• bridge, tun/tap ( likely kvm )
    that script can be used from "a buildroot" look it up... it's helpful as it will "autolaunch" for you and it takes the complexity from working out the commands.

no idea about "boardfarm"... but you can ask them or just work on your basic skills first.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestions. :slight_smile:

Be aware that you can emulate the arch, but not the individual devices - which makes it less of a boardfarm and more of a (slow-) virtualization cluster.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I guess a virtualization cluster is what I am hoping to achieve, but I am having a hard time setting it up since I'm not very familar with openwrt.