Bluetooth interference

I am worried about bluetooth interference on the wifi emitted by my openWrt router. It seems almost impossible these days to buy some retail speakers (for example) that do NOT have bluetooth. So I am wondering if I should be concerned about it degrading my wifi speed, on the 2.4 GHz band.

I am happy to not use bluetooth on my speakers (I prefer to wire them anyway), and not use bluetooth on my other bluetooth enabled devices. Unfortunately, I have noticed that many of these devices do not allow me to disable bluetooth.

So I have a few questions:

• What type of frames does a bluetooth enabled device, not paired with any device, emit?

• Comparing to Wifi, I know that an SSID where no client is connected will still take a non negligible bandwidth in its channel, due to emitting beacon frames to broadcast its availability. Is it similar with bluetooth?

• Some devices have an external antenna for bluetooth that I can unscrew. If I unscrew it, does it essentially disable the bluetooth?

Any info on that subject most welcomed. Thanks!

You should be worried - Bluetooth and 2.4 GHz WiFi are not compatible (also microwave ovens and some scientific equipment), they interfere.

I was worried you were gonna talk about this in your last thread, but I failed to mention it.

No...and removing an antenna has other ramifications (like you could jam yourself locally). If you asked the question...you obviously are not versed in radio theory - no need for more detail, but no nothing magically turns off. [u]And in some nations modifying a certified device is illegal - not saying it may be where you are, but you defiantly seem like you wanna zap yourself...

:cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

2 Likes