Blueendless (Kimax) BS-U35WF - Can OpenWrt Run On The Thing?

Hi,

I've just bought this Blueendless (Kimax) BS-U35WF due to some guy on YouTube giving it loads of praise - plus I've got a spare 500GB HDD I'd like to use to store some films on to share on my TV.

I've read a few articles on forums, including this one, and to me it's still unclear if OpenWrt can run on the unit. Is this true? If not, how come I got about installing and configuring, and if possible extracting a working image of the config to share with the wider community. I'm from an IT background, plus I know a bit of Linux (not much though).

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks!

https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/blueendless/blueendless_u35wf
It wont be very fast (quite slow actually) and I'd suggest that you use minidlna and/or nfs as the CPU is really slow. You will also most likely need to add a small swap partition for minidlna during indexing.

Thanks for the response Diizzy.

I've flashed the unit with the .bin file found on the link you included in your post.

Does anyone know of the password needed to access the device via SSH?

Thanks!

Default settings is root with no password. And WiFi is off by default.

PAnotaci%C3%B3n%202019-07-30%20235851 assword error, please your help

If I may ask, how did you change the IP? The default IP is 192.168.1.1.

When I hooked up my unit to my home broadband router DHCP kicked in. My router displayed 'KIMAX' as being connected using the IP address 192.168.0.42. The password definitely isn't blank, it looks as though it's been changed.

Any help?
Thanks!

I see, now, that this router is not running OpenWrt yet. In this case, nobody here can help you with the the password!

If you ought it new, then you should refer to the manufacturer website to see the default password for this device. If you bought it used, then you should heck with the person you bought it form, or otherwise refer to manufacturer to see how you can rest it to default (and of course what the default password is one you have reset).

I bought this unit brand new (from Gearbest.com).

Last night I flashed the unit with a snapshot image (experimental) from the OpenWRT archives.

What I suspect has happened is that the person who loaded the this particular image has changed the default password and not documented it.

I don't know why anybody would do that. Theo ther strange thing is what you say about the device LAN interface being a DHCP client.

Are you certain that you are accessing this device and not another device on the network?

Did you by chance choose to save the settings from your stock firmware?

Any current version image you get from downloads.openwrt.org will come up with root/no password, IP 192.168.1.1, and a DHCP server.

1 Like

I've double checked - its definitely the Kimax device I'm connecting to.

I've even connected to it using the static IP address suggested by mk24 (my laptop set with 192.168.1.10) - still no joy.

It does seem to be that the device is getting a DHCP address, and that the root password has been changed and modified from the 'blank' one set as default. Very strange. It's a shame I can't get a hash of the current password.

Treat it as if it is still running the vendor firmware, it may still be.

As @Hegabo said if the stock firmware was OpenWrt based and you chose to save settings, you could have a mismash of config settings that are incompatible. Using the reset buton or failsafe mode could work to put in true default settings.

I've just tried this.

Connected via putty using the default username (KIMAX) and password (KIMAX) - access was denied.

If I use the default IP of the device (192.168.169.1) I'm unable to connect to it altogether.

Something isn't quite right with the unit. Weirdly, if I connect to the unit via USB cable (USB B to A style, typically know of the 'printer' cable) I get some directories appear on my computer.

Thats about it though so far...

hola buenos días. Me pasa lo mismo que a ti. al actualizar el sistema ha cambiado la contraseña. tu lo has podido solucionar? Si es así me podrías ayudar? muchas gracias

Hello good day. I feel the same as you. updating the system has changed the password. you have been able to solve it? If so, could you help me? Thanks a lot

Hi Munfla2020,

I never ended up finding a solution for this unfortunately - in the end I binned the Blueendless NAS (poorly built anyway), and bought a proper 2 bay NAS made by QNAP - much better built, support is excellent and enough techy features to keep anyone happy!

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of doing the same. good day and take care