Blobs and closed stuff how to know what's inside?

i've read the difference between lede/openwrt and librecmc they wrote the closed code is stripped out, i'd like to know if is possible what's inside my router, a linksys 1200ac v2, are working with blobs and closed stuff

1 Like

modern wifi drivers (like ath10k and mwlwifi) have closed-source blobs. There may also be blob for ADSL drivers and such. Pretty much everything else is compiled from sources.

1 Like

Yes, your router definitively has closed-sourced blobs. For example, consult the source code for the wifi drivers (can be found at https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi), and have a look at the "bin/firmware" folder.

thanks for the replies
so the wifi is closed, the adsl driver should not be a part of this router, because is a router not a modem as i know, than with exception of wifi everything else should be open am i right?
and now a linux noob question, if i don't use wifi and let him disabled, the closed driver will be not loaded in the kernel/os or they are just there but not used?

I'm not sure about the rest of the hardware in that device, nor wether the wifi module is always loaded.

You can leave the kmod-mwlwifi-xxxx driver out of your build, or uninstall / remove the kmod from loading / device if desired. I think it is the only BLOB on the caiman target.

i've removed the kmod-mwlwifi thanks for the tips, there is a way to know if there is other closed things?

1 Like

i've been searching on the web but i find not answer on this, could someone who know a bit more about it help me answering this question?
any lede devs, or someone else with skills read this forum?

1 Like