Best Wireless AC router for LEDE?

I have never heard of clearfog, I will have to read up on them a little more.

Linksys WRT AC1200 is one of the best routers on the market nowadays. It is packed with a dual core CPU clocked at 1.3 Ghz, and it’s plenty powerful compare to most routers on the market. Also, the AC1200 shares many features such as Web setup wizards, Parental Controls, Dynamic DNS, Content Filtering.

This is a reference to the stock firmware, right?

1 Like

It looks like he is but LEDE has very good support too.Look at the LEDE images from David:
https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/

Netgear R7800 router is awesome . I got mine when Amazon had a sale, but it’s not cheap.

Having said that it’s powerful, the WiFi range is 10-20% better than my TPLink VR900, and 2 USB 3 ports and an esata port make it great as a NAS/Media server.

I recommend the TP-LINK Archer C2600 as a better price/value alternative to R7800. It's also lighter and less bulky than the R7800, so looks better in cases where the router is in a visible place IMO.

The TP-Link performed far worse in tests done by SmallNetbuilder and the R7800 was the only one that had properly working MU-MIMO that showed gains. Granted on OpenWRT MU is not available in this chipset I doubt the C2600 can close the gap with the R7800 having seen a few tests from others especially in regards to the 5Ghz.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32975-mu-mimo-retest-six-routers-compared?limitstart=0

1 Like

Thanks @avx for sharing the link hope it helps

I agree, that its ARM-CPU is very powerful for NAT routing, but the Marvell Wi-Fi is complete crap. It's firmware-locked at half the transmit power allowed by my country's regulation and blocks use of the 5,8 GHz range. On top of that 5 GHz has broken DFS with constant radar misdetections and has trouble passing a MIMO signal even through one wall. 2.4 GHz (using the internal antennas) is even weaker.

So I'm still using a TP-Link Archer C7 for covering wireless, it's Atheros Wi-Fi with 3x3 MIMO works like a charm. It did cost half of price the AC1200, with the latter being not worth its money IMHO. There are ARM boards for much less and more powerful router/firewall boards (usually x86 based) in the price range of WRT1200/1900/3200.

TP-Link Archer C7 user here, after less than 3 months my router(software unchanged) started to lose WAN connection occasionally, local wireless stays alive but all internet access is dead, this happens randomly, something is wrong with the hardware as far as I can tell.