Best VPN Performance Router under $100?

No, but I still wouldn't buy one, even if it was supported.
I'm all for what @maurer wrote, separating the routing from the wifi.

The CPU have to be semi powerful, since it got a 2.5GbE WAN port.

Well, watched a youtube review on this device. Wifi speeds are not that great - https://youtu.be/mFr_M1r2TS0
The look on the guys face while doing the video; think he was surprised as well; expecting more.

speedtest over internet are useless, since you have zero control of the available bandwidth outside your
house.

want to make it lab like, put the device between two PCs, or a PC and a wireless client, depending on what you're measuring, and run iperf.

Dynalink WRX36 firmware is still in development and not ready for 'general consumption'. You can follow the progress by reading (it's the same hardware):

Latest fw is stable for me, and hardware, as you said is as good as it gets for $100 but fw needs to be compiled and it requires opening the case and flashing via USB to serial adapter. I have two, one works as a router the other as dumb AP.

@juliank Does the Dynalink WRX36 factory firmware already have the option to add VPN? I use Torguard/wineguard. What are you download speeds like on this device?

Also thinking about just going with the lInksys wrt32x and adding some wifi 6 ap's if wifi does flake out on me.

1 Like

My experience with a 2048 bit RSA key and AES256 for OpenVPN (my own tunnel) is pretty much never above up/dn 16Mbps with a wrt320acm and up/dn 36Mbps with ER4.

But I would say forget running OpenVPN on a 100$ router.

@flyguy62n What would be your recommendation for running OpenVPN on a router?

WRX36 WIFI is fine, I have no issues going up to 800Mbps (network speed) on 5GHz and 86Mbps on 2.4GHz. Consistent latency, with no sudden spikes like some routers. I think Qualcomm chipsets have one of the best WIFI performance on the market.

Dynalink is using Airgain PCB antennas which are high quality but have less gain than some whip antenna equipped routers. If you need to go the distance then routers with higher gain antennas (external dipole) would be more appropriate.

I don't know how well vendor's firmware works as I flashed it with openwrt from the get go.

The specs on the WRX36 are great. I only use wifi. Dont have anything connected to ethernet.

I keep hearing about wifi issues with WRT3200ACM but I have never had issues with wifi coverage or connectivity. Getting fantastic throughput with VPN, e.g. 3200 throughput is equal greater than ISP provided modem/router without VPN. Maybe I'm just lucky.

The 802.11n radio's abandonware, and doesn't work very well with IoT devices.

It would also freeze, if you'd try to use WPA3.

It's a great wired router, but a terrible wifi provider.

1 Like

I picked up the WRT32X this evening, got it pretty cheap. I uploaded the openwrt .img file to the router to do a manual update. It does nothing. Cant click save... nothing. Am I doing something wrong here? Missing a step? (I can also get the Netgear R7800 really cheap as well... local $60 / ebay about the same) If this doesnt work out with the WRT32X I may just end up selling it... or am I stuck with it? Sidenote: Noticed the front panel lights are quite dim; think it may be the angle of front bezel :frowning:

It got dual fw, the flash was probably written to the 2nd fw partition.

@frollic oh darn, just gets better. :joy: Do I need to reboot it so it will boot into that partition. Guess I was expecting to see some type of activity on the web interface after uploading the img file.

I think making it fail to boot completely three times, will force a fw fail over.

1 Like

It reboots just fine. Appears to do nothing when I upload the file though. Just populates name. That’s it. Is the R7800 this odd to flash? Not off to a good start with this WRT32X.

disabled any adblockers, etc, in your browser ?

the d7800 is installed in the same way, upload the openwrt image through the stock webUI.

Might end up buying this R7800. I really didn’t see a difference in download speed using this WRT32X. About the same without the router. Speedtest in routers web interface does clock it at 972.

The r7800 is a great device, but its limits are somewhere between 500-650 MBit/s WAN speed (less with sqm or VPN), for more than that, it would need NSS offloading (which isn't available).

For routing 800 MBit/s, you do want x86_64, RPi4 or r4s hardware, with VPN at those speeds, you want recent -non-Atom- x86_64. Add an OpenWrt supported 802.11ax AP of your liking, and you'll also achieve those speeds at close range over the air. The wrt3200acm is just garbage for wireless use cases, courtesy of its abandoned mwlwifi wireless (and its known interoperability issues with -among others- IoT devices and it crashing with WPA3/ 802.11w), the r7800 would be a good 802.11ac AP.