Best OpenWrt router for ~50€?

Thank you, the price is excellent. Unfortunately the reputation of this store seems to be not that good.

The one I got was from Snogard, I dont understand whats the issue then?

Community opinion...
Currently I've been trying to get a Netgear r8000 working, but the wifi keeps dropping to kb throughput every few minutes/seconds when under heavy load. So now I have two potential deals...

Netgear r6220 for $25
Netgear r7800 for $75.

I know the r7800 is better, but is it that much better to be worth the extra $50?

If you want to run SQM or VPN on the router at high speeds the 7800 is needed. The 6220 can only do that at 80mbit or something. Jeff had a post with specific numbers. If you just want a router it has hardware offload and can route at 500+ Mbit. The 6220 will have just as low latency as the 7800, so if it fits your needs then there is no sense buying anything better. Especially with the new wifi6e standard that makes both obsolete.

Thanks!
Currently I do use SQM and Wireguard VPN... but my internet is only ~30-35Mbit - so no worries there :slight_smile:. Actually before getting the R8000 I was using a tew-673gru (680Mhz, 8MB flahs, 64MB RAM). This actually works well still, but I saw the loads spiking a lot and it barely has enough flash for SQM and Wireguard without having to do an EXTROOT. So I figured it was time to getsomething a little beefier. I saw the R800 was supported, but I'm just having trouble with the WiFi and don't know how to fix it... thinking it might be hardware issue at this point.

Anyway - back on topic sounds like the 6220 will do just fine.
(unless I can find someone to help me figure out this r8000 :smiley:)

Thanks again!
DeadEnd

I guess I agree with @diizzy, there is not much development happening on the MIPS side, and more importantly

Why not use the r8000 wired only, and use the tew-673gru as dedicated dumb AP?

That is an option... but at this point I'd rather put the stock firmware back on the R8000 and just sell it and recoup my $ (if possible).

2 Likes

@robimarko I saw some negative feedback on their Facebook page. Since I'm not living in Germany it would be difficult to get in touch in case of issues.
Anyway, I found the same router on Amazon for 63 Euro.

Btw, how is the performance of that router? Does it overheat? CPU seems to be very powerful..

I dont live in Germany as well, but I use a forwarding company mailboxde.com.
For me warranty is not really an option as I usually do HW modifications etc.

I havent tested the performance since I am busy with 5.4 kernel for IPQ806x, and G10 still needs more work in order to fully support it.
Its performance would be identical to other IPQ8064 based devices with 2x QCA9980(There are multiple of those supported in OpenWrt)

i don't find the Asrock G10 in the table of hardware.
It is alredy supported ? i have see there is alredy supported by dd-wrt.

At this moment, the ASRock G10 is not officially supported by OpenWrt, but there are ongoing efforts (and initial support in the developers' staging trees) to get it supported. If you are comfortable to build OpenWrt from source and can apply (and rebase, as needed) external patches, running OpenWrt on this device might be viable today - if you aren't, you'll have to wait until device support gets formally merged to OpenWrt/ master.

While I usually wouldn't recommend ipq8064 (as ipq8065 is faster and comes with newer/ better wireless), the prices for the ASRock G10 are indeed compelling. The initial OpenWrt installation might not be for everyone (apparently opening the device and flashing via serial console is required), but it's the cheapest ipq806x option new from the factory by at least a factor of two (and ipq806x, even in the form of ipq8064, is a highend SOC with very mature and fast wireless).

1 Like

fwiw, if you are in the UK, the Asus RT-AC57u AC1200 gigabit router is on sale again for £32.99 at Amazon UK. (Update 2021: RT-AC57u v1 is discontinued)

This should in theory be the v1 model which uses Meditek MT7621AT SoC. As well as OpenWrt, there is AsusSrcMod (modded AsusWrt firmware with openvpn reinstated) and Padavan firmwares for this device.
https://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=14:65611

nb. Amazon DE has separate listings for v1 and v2 variants of the RT-AC57u.

The v2 uses Qualcomm QCN5502 SoC which is not supported.

Added: RT-AC57U owrt wiki page
https://openwrt.org/toh/asus/asus_rt-ac57u

Update: Sep 2020 - I notice v3 is on sale at Amazon DE. SoC is unknown. It has 32MB flash compared to 16MB of v2, and supports AiMesh. Neither v2 or v3 are sold in UK.

1 Like

It is install setup openwrt ? Or i must have pc to install it? About asus rt57u.

RT-AC57u v1 wiki has instructions for linux PC for installing OpenWrt in the section "OEM installation via SSH"
https://openwrt.org/toh/asus/asus_rt-ac57u

But you can use PuTTY (for ssh) and WinSCP if you are a Windows PC user like myself.

1 Like

Also there is Windows Subsystem for Linux and even Windows Poweshell.

OT, but...

Yes, friends don't let friends use puTTY. It was great in 2000, but Powershell or Cmder are way better. (Check the OpenWrt wiki for how to use either...)

2 Likes

For quick CLI operations, late versions of Windows 10 offer a Microsoft first-party port of OpenSSH. This brings to the Command Prompt ssh and scp commands that work almost exactly like on Linux. I use Tera Term in the GUI.

1 Like

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2) is a Linux Kernel that runs on Windows through virtualisation, and is probably the closest thing to run Linux commands on a Windows PC without having to install a complete desktop distro.

1 Like

I bought the asus at 28£ from Amazon, I can say that it is very good, when I pass the openwrt we will see. And is v1.

A post was split to a new topic: RT-AC57U installation