Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

Do I just run this to build without fw4?

git revert 08d9f6e3020b4a149b2007b6ed7d684c49af9bbf

I'm running 4367d4f869cb031790d8077fd4405830762a6134 and have this set in the .config

CONFIG_IPTABLES_NFTABLES=n
CONFIG_PACKAGE_firewall=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_firewall4=n
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ipt-offload=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-nft-offload=n
CONFIG_PACKAGE_iptables=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ip6tables=y

Which works good as all the time:

For development of fw4 it should be exist an easy switch for fw3/4 selection, and if everything is compatible with nft the fw3 could MAYBE removed. Just set fw4 as default which breaks everythink is a bad decision

2 Likes

I hope so. I tested from time to time the wed patches from Felix but without good results. Even today I've tried to include his patches (after correcting the dev_err parameter swap :expressionless: ) and link to the latest mt76 wed version and.. at least it works :slight_smile: but there is no CPU usage improvement during high-speed wlan transfers, it is the same like using only sw offload (~70%). Using firewall3, of course.

I'm happy to report that the the 2022/02/04 snapshot build on the master branch (R18725) is working very nicely on my Belkin RT3200.

I followed the steps for flashing U-Boot using dangowrt's 0.61 installer, a necessary prerequisite that flashed R18125 (2021/11) in order to change the MTD layout from stock to UBI. From there I was able to do a sysupgrade of the master snapshot mt7622 UBI target for R18725, which included the latest firewall4 (nftables).

I got stuck initially because I had tried to use the attended sysupgrade procedure (luci-app-attendedsysupgrade) to flash R18725 but it didn't work. I tried the attended method first because I wanted to select the packages I wanted to install for firewall4. I tried several times but no matter what firewall4 packages I selected using the attended's Advanced Mode the custom-built sysupgrade kept installing firewall3 (legacy iptables), which caused fatal conflicts. I suspect it might be because upgrading from firewall3 (iptables) on R18125 to firewall4 (nftables) on R18725 was simply too large of a jump for the attended upgrade's logic to select all of the right packages to build it.

So instead what I did was flash the latest prebuilt snapshot https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/mediatek/mt7622/openwrt-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb that had firewall4 pre-configured. After that I added luci and the iptables -> nftables translation helpers:

opkg update
opkg install luci
opkg install iptables-nft (backward compatible iptables translators)
opkg install ip6tables-nft (backward compatible ip6tables translators)

and then everything worked.

4 Likes

Can you please test miniupnpd and / or luci-app-upnp? Some folks are telling is working fine but for me it doesn't work with firewall4 (client applications cannot accept connections even if tables and chains are created).

no need to test: https://github.com/openwrt/luci/blob/master/applications/luci-app-upnp/root/usr/libexec/rpcd/luci.upnp#L77
and https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/net/miniupnpd/files/firewall3.include#L2

FYI I am not doing any software nor hardware offloading.

1 Like

This router is a beast, latest snapshot builds with my Wireguard VPN & Policy based routing, I still max out my 350Mbps line speed! brilliant work supporting this router everyone. I have sold on my old DECO P9's and put a pair of these either side of the house with an ethernet backhaul. Setup nicely now for a 1Gbps WAN link I think in the coming months.

1 Like

I just picked up two of these today ($88 USD/each) for use as just WAPs. Has anyone tried running multiple in a mesh configuration as of yet?

3 Likes

Very strange, sometimes the hw offload works, but cannot pinpont why. After a reset and reloading the config, the CPU was max 30% busy during my speed tests, clearly showing less load when downloading vs uploading, which confirms the wed accelerated path from ethernet to wlan and not from wlan to ethernet. But after a while the CPU came back to 50-60% and symmetric load during download / upload, and even after power off and on again I cannot make it back how it was... I don't know what triggered this.

Good purchase! Yes. I have three of these connected wirelessly together. WDS is more reliable than mesh and gives higher throughout (I get something like 500Mbit/s between devices).

3 Likes

Wow, this little guy is impressive! This is from a 3x3 AC client connected at 1300Mbps with this RT3200 operating in dumb AP mode:

That was from a short distance, though. As others have noted, speed drops off quickly with distance.

3 Likes

I've experienced wifi dropout overnight on the latest snapshot, commit-sha d16bd89c71da6bad5f4d37008217ced3bac4e5d6

No logs, no abnormal errors in syslog. Networks are broadcasting, but attempts to connect fail to authenticate.

If it happens again will dump a log here. Both 2g and 5g wifi was down.

Anybody else seeing this, and are there any watchdog scripts that can trigger reboot if this is detected that people recommend.

I suspect this is due to the change to mac80211 to use the virtual time-based airtime fairness. It was previously on a round-robin scheme.

My E8450 is not stable when many Wi-Fi clients connects to it.

My R7800 also exhibit Wi-Fi issues as well, but it seems more apparent with ath10k compared to mt76. I’m currently testing my R7800 with mac80211 reverted back to the old algo. If it’s ok, I’ll make the same change for my E8450.

1 Like

Good evening I came across this repository, is it reliable do you think? I saw that the file size was 20mb, I think this user has added a lot of options that can be interesting, right?

edit : ok is good thanks just add samba and transmition :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same thing here. Started on nightly snapshots within the last 7 days or so. Wireless works fine till the morning, then I have to reboot to connect.

1 Like

I follow this guide I did the full backup first, then flashed the image version Release v0.6.1
Everything is working fine at the moment.

2 Likes

I'm trying to use those devices with 802.11s to mesh multiple devices together. Neither 2.4G nor 5G seem to work at all, any ideas? I'm running the latest snapshots.

1 Like

Yes, it is my build.
Need to install manually transmission-cli (in next build I am add this option to config)
This build have FW3 and hardware offloading work correctly.
USB support include too.

3 Likes

hi ! super when you say that the hardware flow offloading works, it can be put with qosify suddenly for a better fiber flow for example?
the next big release of oopenwrt 22 for the rt3200 and many other should be this month see maximum march according to what @daniel said

3 Likes