Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

I am not sure what that means. Is that a software version number? How do I check if I have 0.6.1? I do not see any reference to such number anywhere.

Oh yes, I see that now. Yes thats where I got the file from. Its the same name.

Yes, the default regulatory domain is very conservative in order to avoid breaking laws when the region cannot be determined. Specifying operating region is required for correct transmit power and channel use.

This is determined by wireless-regdb.

You can't really go around picking region for users without any input. I'm seeing actual region being set in eeprom less and less these days.

And don't even think of suggesting geoip as a solution...

1 Like

No, the settings still disappear. I poweroff the E8450 for some days and the settings gone.

I would like to give UBI method a try. How to flash the E8450 from non-UBI OpenWrt to UBI OpenWrt?

To run the installer, you need to force-flash openwrt-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-initramfs-recovery-installer.itb and follow the instructions.

1 Like

I have used non-UBI method to flash OpenWrt. How do I force-flash openwrt-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-initramfs-recovery-installer.itb in this case? It seems that the instructions is for vendor firmware to OpenWrt (UBI method).

You can force flash from LuCI:

LuCI web interface System ā†’ Backup / Flash Firmware ā†’ ā€œFlash new firmware imageā€

Don't check the keep settings option.

1 Like

Thank you. I think the Flash new firmware image is used to flash the sysupgrade file only. I will try to flash it later.

I think thatā€™s what it was. Before I read your response, I ti jerked around with this setting, set my region but I hadnā€™t rebooted it. So it was not working. But during some other attempt I guess I rebooted it and stepped away and went back to look at it.. voila! It was working.
I think you are dead right, thatā€™s exactly what it was. Cheers for the feedback!

Is there any concensus yet as to whether the hardware offloading thing is a universal problem? i.e. everyone with this router will eventually crash if they have it enabled? My RT3200 is arriving today, I wanna be as informed as possible

I don't think mt7622 has h/w offload. AFAIK, only mt7621 have h/w offload.

https://lwn.net/Articles/862864/

This patch series adds hardware flow offloading for routing/NAT packets from
ethernet to WLAN on MT7622 SoC, in combination with MT7915 WLAN devices
This only offloads one direction, WLAN->Ethernet offload is not supported by
MT7622 (but will be in newer SoC designs).

This is possibly the stupidest idea I've read on this forum, AND not to mention it could be highly illegal and get @ozk649 in trouble. Set the country to the one you reside in, and none other! Each country has their own set of regulations and legislation about using certain radio bands, and you could very well run into a situation where your "measly little WiFi router" causes issues with not just weather radars, but much more important radars (e.g. flight tracking or defence radars). It would be quite the uncomfortable discussion having the police, radio regulators, or worst case scenario, the military knock on your door just because you listened to some rando on the internet about "setting your wifi to any country you want".

1 Like

It is not supid, but mandatory to set the country! Users (like me) with Amazon Firetv devices should stick with channel 36, as these cheap devices cant use other channels

Setting the country TO THE ONE YOU'RE IN is mandatory.

Setting it to any random value you deem useful is idiotic. Which is literally what you recommended.

1 Like

Read again. "do not" means not to do

1 Like

Well, he said "do not ...". I can see the chance of some irony being involved there, and maybe you are all getting closer to the reason why OpenWrt doesn't display the country setting in a more prominent position and why we chose to have conservative defaults -- we don't want to be the OS people use to circumvent or even accidentally violate DFS requirements. Better safe than sorry. If users choose to do that, at least it will be hard for them to claim they didn't know what they were doing or that it somehow happened by accident...

4 Likes

True, but what if someone lives in those specified countries? That's why I think that any advice other than "set it to the country you're in" is a bad idea. Sure, OpenWrt, this forum, and its members are not responsible for users setting a different country and possibly running into issues with the regulating body (or the military!), but in my opinion we should strive to recommend the best possible option within legal limits.

While you are right, it is not our direct legal responsibility, actions of our users do have consequences for the project as a whole. The most recent iteration of the Radio Emissions Directive (RED) of the European Union, for example, does mention users circumventing power limits or band usage requirements (DFS and such) by flashing alternative firmware. And it suggests vendors to take measures against that. The paragraph in the law (Article 3(3)(i)) making that a hard requirement has not been activated at this point, as industry was pushing for self-regulation (as usual). But we are just one inch away from law-markers banning custom firmware if they feel that the self-imposed measures taken by the industry are not sufficient.
So if the idea "flash OpenWrt to gain more TX power and annoy all radar operators around" becomes popular (supposedly among people who have little to zero knowledge of electronics or how RF works), this will most certainly have consequences such as making it extremely hard to flash OpenWrt on future devices as they will be required to use secure boot or similar mechanism preventing the user from doing that.

And btw: there is of course documentation telling users to set the country code.

12 Likes