Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

Just make sure I got this right, to go back to vendor firmware all I need to do is run "sysupgrade -F /tmp/FW_RT3200_1.0.01.101415_prod.img" right? I'm using Belkin but that command should work with Linksys as well.

Did you read the UBI installer readme?

Especially this part:

WARNING This will replace the bootloader (TF-A 2.2, U-Boot 2020.10) and convert the flash layout of the device to UBI! The installer stores a copy of the previous bootchain in a dedicated UBI volume boot_backup. If you want to go back to the vendor firmware, you will have to boot into recovery mode (ie. initramfs), copy those files into /tmp, umount the UBI volume, detach the UBI device and then write the files to the corresponding MTD partitions (mtd write $file /dev/mtdX).

Hello,
Today I flashed my RT3200 with the UBI version and the latest firmware:

But I can't configure 5GHz WiFi, is missing!

root@OpenWrt:~# iwinfo 
wlan0     ESSID: unknown
          Access Point: C4:41:1E:F8:1E:C7
          Mode: Client  Channel: unknown (unknown)
          Center Channel 1: unknown 2: unknown
          Tx-Power: 6 dBm  Link Quality: unknown/70
          Signal: unknown  Noise: unknown
          Bit Rate: unknown
          Encryption: unknown
          Type: nl80211  HW Mode(s): 802.11bgn
          Hardware: 14C3:7622 14C3:7622 [MediaTek MT7622]
          TX power offset: none
          Frequency offset: none
          Supports VAPs: yes  PHY name: phy0

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/wireless 

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '11'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path 'platform/18000000.wmac'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option disabled '1'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'OpenWrt'
        option encryption 'none'

Maybe I forgotten a step... can anyone help me?

Thanks!

try upgrade the last snapshot wit hback up flash firmware and sysupgrade ubi .itb :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like you have possibly not yet installed the actual firmware, and are still running the recovery image...

I had similar condition after flashing my RT3200 with the UBI install image. Things normalised once I had then used sysupgrade to install the ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb, like Dopam-IT_1987 suggested

You chould check from console with "df", if you have normal overlay etc., or are you just running tmpfs (with the recovery initramfs image).

1 Like

How often should one be running auc? Every time the kernel changes? I'm coming from a Linux distro that tracks all CVEs for the packages installed and can recommend updates based on that - is there any equivalent for OpenWRT users to follow?

I dont use auc i use via web gui luci backup flash firmware

And i flash a new upgrade via flash firmware update in down with ubi.sysupgrade.itb snapshot

My understanding is that auc pulls the sysupgrade image.

My question is how often should I be updating a router on SNAPSHOT?

How do I balance "stability" (since we have no stable builds) vs. security?

That's a personal 'policy' decision.

• one approach would be to closely follow the commits entering master and making an informed decision based on that.
  • another one would be to find a workable personal cadence, in the line of every weekend, twice a month, monthly, every three months - roughly matching the pace of minor updates of the stable branch.

There are many options between these extremes.

2 Likes

Yes you're right can you send a link of commits please ?

1 Like

Yes but I was talking about non UBI version. I flashed snapshot and coud not install LuCI due to some package format issues. I eventually used the power-off trick to swap boot partition and installed the vendor firmware.

I installed the non-UBI version as per your instructions. It worked as you mentioned. However, all the configurations got wiped off after reboot. Is this normal?

Disclaimer: I don't own this device, nor read the instructions in detail.

This behaviour sounds as if you flashed an initramfs image, without completing the process by then flashing the sysupgrade image.

I flashed this file https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/mediatek/mt7622/openwrt-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

This is the output of df command

root@OpenWrt:~# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 4608      4608         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   247032      1068    245964   0% /tmp
tmpfs                   247032      1532    245500   1% /tmp/root
overlayfs:/tmp/root     247032      1532    245500   1% /
tmpfs                      512         0       512   0% /dev

I am assuming everything is getting stored in temp. How do I make this permanent? I am on the non-UBI version and on the 1st partition there is stock firmware. I also used the Openwrt image builder to add luci.

Apologies, I must confess that I jumped boat shortly after confirming that OpenWrt was working fine with that router (i.e. I have now switched to the UBI layout).
Consequently, I am no longer in position to confirm the behavior of the non-UBI variant.

I do not think I observed the behavior you described, but I may be misremembering, as my exposure to the non-UBI layout was short.

No worries. I will move to UBI if all works well. I am only scared if things break in the future it will be really difficult to go back to stock.

I was able to resolve this issue by reflashing the openwrt-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin image in Luci. Now the output of df command is as follows.

root@OpenWrt:~# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 4608      4608         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   247032       348    246684   0% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock11          22272      2224     20048  10% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       22272      2224     20048  10% /
tmpfs                      512         0       512   0% /dev

I'm using the router with latest snapshot but the MediaTek MT7622 802.11bgn device dies every couple of days. I have to reboot the router to make it work again. Anyone aware of the issues? @daniel ?

I've been using the Belkin RT3200 version of this router for about two weeks now with a snapshot image. So far I'm really impressed, it's been stable, reliable and fast enough for me. The only thing I just noticed when SSHing in is that the CPU scaling governor is currently set to "userspace". As a result, scaling_cur_freq always reads 1.35GHz. Looks like this is chosen by the default 5.10 kernel config for mt7622:
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y

In the interest of preserving power, I just set the governor to ondemand. After doing so, it seems to clock all the way back to 30MHz when it's idle. When I do e.g. a speed test, it comes up to ~800MHz while it doesn't stutter on Wifi throughput. In other words, that seems to work fine for me. I'll leave it running like this for a few days to see if it impacts stability, and I'll plunck it into rc.local, but it does beg the question: isn't the ondemand governor (or perhaps schedutil) a better default option for OpenWRT?

6 Likes