Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

The NAND flash will be scanned when OpenWrt boots up to map out LEBs right? Would that process initiate UBI scrubbing? If so, actually there should be no need for the boot up script to trigger scrubbing?

Maybe just a weekly cron job to trigger scrubbing?

1 Like

It will only read the first page (2kB) of each block (128kB), so for the remaining 126kB no BCH/ECC status is obtained.

1 Like

Right, OK. Boot up scan it is.

New installer pre-release containing the latest changes for people who want to run SNAPSHOTS and are currently on 23.05.x or earlier (or stock firmware):

10 Likes

Actually you can also upgrade to the latest BL2 as it supports MTD partitions just fine.

I wasn't sure if it was deemed sufficiently "stable" or not. Does it support FIP not in UBI? If so, what's the best BL2 image link I should use?

Can we run the installer directly over the previous version? I mean 1.0.3 or older.

If you're talking latest 22.x release version of BL2, then yes, that works every bit as well as the first. However, the versions provided with 23.x are all 2.9 and suffer from OKD. You don't want to run any of the currently available 23.x BL2 releases. If you're talking about the OKD-fixed snapshot releases, it's been built specifically to use FIP in UBI and will not load a FIP in mtd.

1 Like

Yes, from what I know. BL2 from TF-A 2.9 and later added support for FIP in UBI volumes, but MTD support is still there. So FIP is MTD is not a problem.

Edit:
Since you have already downgraded, and it works, best to leave it alone. BL2 is not really important in the grand scheme of things IMHO.

Ok. So my instructions are specifically for those on release (23.x).

I’m referring to just Bl2, not OpenWrt snapshot builds.

There is a difference in the compilation for BL2. When building the binary, you must tell it to look for the fip in mtd space or in UBI. As of yet, there is no binary that will look in both places. Therefore, the version built to go with snapshot will only look for fip in UBI. The version built to go with 22.x and 23.x will only look for fip in mtd. Not only that, but because the data layout differs between the 23.x and 24.x/snapshot builds, the snapshot BL2 requires an additional parameter to update the UBI offset.

Oh, ok. I stand corrected then. Didn’t really dig too much into the boot image setup tbh.

Will you make a new one for 24.XX when that release becomes available? So for users who had used old 2.4 installer(s) and still on 23.XX but want to stay on official releases? Is the latter a safe option?

I clarified the language at the beginning of my howto. Hopefully it's now clearer who it's meant for.

1 Like

Yes, once the release is out I will also release a newly built installer based on that.

I'm not sure if I understand the question. You mean users who want to stay on installers built on top of stable release?

1 Like

Are you running SNAPSHOT? If not, then it would be better to just replace the BL2 image.

No I'm running 23.xx. I replaced the BL2 with the one that has the fix. I'm just wondering to know how easy to upgrade to the snapshot version.

To go from 23.x to 24.x/snapshot, it would indeed be as simple as running the snapshot version of the installer and then the snapshot or 24.x firmware you intend to run.

1 Like

I meant users who had last installed older owrt-ubi-installer versions that used the TF-A v2.4 like v0.6.4, are presently on an OpenWrt 23.05.X release, and want to wait for 24.XX release.

Safe enough for those users like me just to wait for the 24.XX release and the corresponding updated owrt-ubi-installer?