Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

My RT3200 is configured as a router and is on 22.03.2. The Internet port is connected to the LAN port of my ISP's router(which I do not manage at all). I am in a double NAT situation, so my router is just a wired client to the ISP router, but all my devices connect to the RT3200 - so it's a router, right? And

root@Belkin-RT3200:~# cat /sys/module/mt7915e/parameters/wed_enable
Y
root@Belkin-RT3200:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/ppe0/bind
cat: can't open '/sys/kernel/debug/ppe0/bind': No such file or directory
root@Belkin-RT3200:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind
root@Belkin-RT3200:~#

Same output as @Elmer and @openx

Yes, in this case (WAN port connected to LAN port of upstream router) the device is acting as a router.

Did you actually switch on flow offloading in the firewall configuration?

In /etc/config/firewall you should set:

config defaults
        option input 'ACCEPT'
        option output 'ACCEPT'
        option forward 'REJECT'
        option synflood_protect '1'
        option flow_offloading '1'
        option flow_offloading_hw '0'

Routing Performance Questions

I'm somewhat dumbfounded on one of many of these routers I have in the wild.

The test.

6 devices <-> 2.4Gig WiFi <-> RT3200 <-> Provider Router <-> Internet

Client Side Information:

Auth=Enterprise (Radius Server)

Connection mode : Profile

Channel : 6

Receive rate (Mbps) : 72.2

Transmit rate (Mbps) : 72.2

Signal : 100%

From the client connection shown above - Run speed test from several different web speed testing sites. DL=8.97Mbps, UL=11.2Mbps (Rough average of many tests)

Two questions on this - 1) I know it is a client decision but why the 72Mbps rate with 100% signal? 2) It is 10X less than the next test.

Next Test

6 devices <-> 2.4Gig WiFi <-> Provider Router <-> Internet

Client Side Information:

Auth = PSK

Connection mode : Profile

Channel : 6

Receive rate (Mbps) : 150

Transmit rate (Mbps) : 150

Signal : 88%

From the client connection shown above - Run speed test from several different web speed testing sites. DL=81.2Mbps, UL=11.9Mbps (Rough average of many tests).

Ok - so I can't see a reason for this after digging for a few days. Obviously the 72 Mbps rate is ridiculous given the proximity and signal strength but that should still yield 40-ish Mbps ...not 8-9. And in both test scenarios - I have run them so many times over different times of day and days (50+) to get to an average where the 5 other devices aren't impacting significantly the throughput avg. (Anecdotally watching real time graphs not much else is happening other than the test I am running.)

Also - I have speedtest on the RT3200 and it returns results consistenly above both WiFi tests.

Testing download speed (32) .................................................................................................................................
Download: 103.70 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed (8) ...........................
Upload: 13.06 Mbit/s
1 Like

In my case, I also enabled hardware offloading. Is that the issue?

config defaults
        option input 'ACCEPT'
        option output 'ACCEPT'
        option forward 'REJECT'
        option flow_offloading_hw '1'

It doesn't make a difference even if I disable HW offloading:

config defaults
        option input 'ACCEPT'
        option output 'ACCEPT'
        option forward 'REJECT'

config zone
        option name 'lan'
        option input 'ACCEPT'
        option output 'ACCEPT'
        option forward 'ACCEPT'
        list network 'lan'

config zone
        option name 'wan'
        option input 'REJECT'
        option output 'ACCEPT'
        option forward 'REJECT'
        option masq '1'
        option mtu_fix '1'
        list network 'wan'
root@Belkin-RT3200:~# cat /sys/module/mt7915e/parameters/wed_enable
Y
root@Belkin-RT3200:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/ppe0/bind
cat: can't open '/sys/kernel/debug/ppe0/bind': No such file or directory
root@Belkin-RT3200:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind
root@Belkin-RT3200:~#

Please, I need help with WIFI in ma RT3200.

I have recently downgraded from snapshot firmware to stable 22.3.2 version.

I had said that everything was working after the reinstall and with some help from you.

But I had not realized that wireless is not working properly until my sons began to complain about wifi not working in their rooms.

In network/wireless I can see that the wireless devices are not active.

The wireless configuation has not changed and it was working previously to firmware reintall.
I have rebooted the router several times with no luck
Device restarting does not help.

Any hint about what can be wrong?

Wireless scan does work with both devices (2,4 and 5 GHz) so the device itself seem to work.

How about you flash the openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb
first?

1 Like

yes should be upgrzde a second Time for out the recouvert upgrzde

I don't understand.
That is the firmware I have flashed as adviced, to downgrade from snapshot to 22.03.2

I will try again to double check

I have downloaded the sysypgrade, ubi openwrt-22.03.2-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb, I have burned that firmware using "flash new firmware image" keeping settings.

Rebooted the router twice and same results: wifi is not working, "device not active".

Possibly there is something in your wifi config that doesn't work with 22.03.

You might rename /etc/config/wireless to something else (so that there is no wireless config), and reboot, so that a new default WiFi config gets created at the boot.

Then you could reconfig manually. And keep the config simple, at first.

(As wireless scan works, it is likely something in the wifi SSID config.)

1 Like

I have reverted to snapshot.

I had some troubles but could revert and keep all configuration changes.

Now the wireless and everything is working.

@hnyman I have to try to revert to 22.3.2 again and reset wifi config to see if that works.

But I will try other day, I don't want to mess things now that they are working in a day like this.

Thank you very much.

Happy new year to all of you.

Should should look at logs.
logread through ssh or status/system log through Luci.
your previous wireless configuration should include some settings not compatible with 22.03
Logs should point to the wrong parameter (without having to reconfigure everything from scratch)

1 Like

Thanks I will retry and install 22.3.2 other day when I have time and wifi is not too demanded at home.

@ariznaf I have noticed that interface names are changed in snapshot vs 22.03.

If I recall 22.03 is like wlan0, wlan0-1, wlan0-2 ....etc

but snapshot is like wl0-ap0, wl0-ap1, wl0-ap2 etc.

As others mentioned you can recover your wifi config a couple ways but keep config to downgrade does not work because of the name changes on the WiFi interfaces. Maybe other things break too I'm not too sure. But for sure downgrades seems less reliable than upgrades.

1 Like

Thanks a lot.
Yes, I have realized that the problem was with wireless names.

Today I have been dealing with the problem and trying to revert to 22.3.2
I think I could do it.

I began installing the openwrt-22.3.2 firmware keeping configuration and then adding all modules that seem to differ or were not installed, attended sysupgrade, luci-theme-openwrt-2020, wireguard, sqm, adblock ando others.

I am not sure that I have installed everything as it was, but I think it is working.

I had to delete and redo all wireless networks, but now they are working.

I have activated fast transition and it seems to be workgin now.

Fast transitions seem to have changed from 22.3 to snapshots, as in the snapshot is in a WLAN roaming tab while in 22.3 is under wireless security.

It took me quite a while to discover that.

@ariznaf - watch out for this if you're trying to do fast roaming on 22.03.

"I had a very similar issue and can't recall what the fix is on kernel 5.10 / OpenWrt 22.03. If I remember correctly it is no longer an issue in kernel 5.15 / OpenWrt master due to upstream DSA driver changes. If possible you may want to test a snapshot build and see if the behavior persists."

So your mileage may vary on using FT on 22.03 depending on what you are trying to do. There are several other issues linked to that issue as well related. I too have had issues with Soft/Hard flow offload and FT.... having to revert to no offload for FT to work.

1 Like

Thank you, I am getting a bit mad about this.

But it seems it is not just a matter of the router model, as it does not work in my fritz!box 4040 access point either.

It seems that there are draw backs with wpad implementation. It seems to work in previous hostapd (but it does not support WPA3).

I will read it carefully any way to see if it helps.

Hi all, Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance! This thread is obviously full of great information.

I picked up two new E8450's and am setting them up. I used dangowrt's installer image and then flashed 22.03.3 sysupgrade via luci. Everything is working amazingly well.

One thing I am unsure of is do we still need to use the custom installer image first if converting to UBI? Or can I just use one of the images directly from OpenWRT? I see that there are kernel ubi images that are for installation and wasn't sure if those existed at the time the information on the wiki had been updated.

1 Like

yes if you are installéd ubi Always ubi you will be installed in the future

we still need the installer image from dangowrt for the initial installation/conversion. Even with 22.03.3, the main OpenWrt buildbot does not produce the UBI installer image.

The dangowrt installer flashes a new bootloader, converts the flash partition system structure to UBI and flashes the recovery image (that you use later to flash the normal sysupgrade image). That is the core of the conversion.

But after that stage, there is no reason to use the actual UBI sysupgrade image from dangowrt download site, as you can just download and install any UBI sysupgrade image (like 22.03.3). Or you can compile your own.

4 Likes