Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

How much improvement are you seeing and if it's stable for you?

Cheers.

@Underworld When I look at a copy of my back-up tarball, I do not see that directory as getting saved. I'm thinking although that worked, it is not the "correct" way to do it... on the other hand, modules.conf is part of the tarball.

I tried creating /etc/modules.conf with wed enabled and it is not enabled.
Well to be frank everytime I update the snapshot I need to modify the /etc/modules.d/mt7915e to work.
I am not sure what is the correct way the setup ti be persistent after an auc, but for me deffanatly creating /etc/modules.conf do not enable wed even without auc update.
I hope this helps.
Kr
K

It's actually cat /sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind on Linux 5.10 and OpenWrt 22.03. The entries shows all connection flows, not just the offloaded ones.

1 Like

Thanks for information.
I'm currently running 22.03.02
WED is enabled.
SW+HW offload enabled (but not really used as my RT3200 is currently used as AP only)
I don't get any record in 'bind'

-----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt 22.03.2, r19803-9a599fee93
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@RT3200:~# uname -a
Linux RT3200 5.10.146 #0 SMP Fri Oct 14 22:44:41 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux
root@RT3200:~# cat /sys/module/mt7915e/parameters/wed_enable
Y
root@RT3200:~# ls /sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/
bind     entries
root@RT3200:~# cat /sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind
root@RT3200:~#

Is there anything more to do to make WED working ?

Does the device actually act as a NAT router? If so, then entries should show in bind file.
If you are using the device as a dump AP or bridged to existing network, you will need to install the bridger package for WED to work.

1 Like

Device is only used in AP mode.
Bridger package is not available in 22.03
I will have to wait next major update or switch to snapshot.
Thanks Daniel.

Yes on device working as Router mode cat /sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind gives right output, thx for info

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /sys/module/mt7915e/parameters/wed_enable
N
root@OpenWrt:~#

i can't enabled

i has modif /etc/module.d

and add wed_enabled=Y

but doesn't work same after reboot

Please look at updated device page, I ve added updated howto
https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/e8450#verifying_that_wed_is_enabled

1 Like

no he doesn't work what version you use i'm on 22.03.2

same after reboot

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /sys/module/mt7915e/parameters/wed_enable
N
root@OpenWrt:~#

mt7915e wed_enabled=Y

Im on one of newest 22.03 snapshots 18632 i believe, don't know then what can be a problem here

1 Like

ok i see on snapshot he work but not 22.03.2 thanks for your response

@lukjod - Your recent edits to the wiki should be qualified if there are in fact differences between enabling WED on 22.03.2 vs snapshot.

1. Can someone else running 22.03.2 verify that the step in the original version does or does not work? See here.
  2. As I pointed out above, the method you are advertising now will not be saved on an update and readers should be aware of that:
  1. Your recent edits to the wiki are pointing users to the old path of sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind which @daniel showed as no longer relevant.
  2. Same request for someone else running 22.03.2 to verify which location is relevant for that release.
3 Likes

/sys/kernel/debug/ppe0/bind
works only on device in routers mode and not ap

well i will add my snapshot in section till anyone else can confirm this works for other versions

On my device working as router with snapshot, the correct combination is : /etc/modules.d/mt7915e and sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind, but again after update the settings in /etc/modules.d/mt7915e are getting lost as confirmed by @darksky .
Kr.

On my 22.03.2 working as router:

/etc/modules.conf file doesn't exist and doesn't' work if I manually create it.

cat /etc/modules.d/mt7915e
mt7915e wed_enable=Y

cat /sys/module/mt7915e/parameters/wed_enable
Y

cat /sys/kernel/debug/ppe0/bind
cat: can't open '/sys/kernel/debug/ppe0/bind': No such file or directory

cat /sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind
(empty output)

htop doesn't show any cpu load reduction

WED doesn't work for me (tested 5G TX direction from router point of view)

1 Like

I have the exact same configuration and test results as @openx.

/sys/kernel/debug/ppe0/bind not existing is the expected result on Linux 5.10 and OpenWrt 22.03.

/sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind being empty means the there are no offloaded flows. This is expected if you do not use the device as NAT/router. If you only use it as bridged access point, WED cannot work on 22.03. If you ware willing to try development snapshots, you can use WED by installing the bridger package which facilitates flow-offloading also in bridged configuration (I'm using this on a day-to-day base on various MT7622-based APs around my house and it works fine)

In general, on MT7622 WED is only supported in TX direction (from router point of view), so CPU load reduction (from around 15% load to around 3% load when running speedtest) can only be observed if traffic is sent from the router to the client.

2 Likes

My router is the only device directly connected to the FTTH ONT, I think that this mean that I'm using the device as NAT/router.
Wired traffic is very well offloaded with flow_offloading_hw '1' oprion in firewall, speedtest reach 940 Mbps download 475 Mbps upload with CPU around 3% load.
Wireless 5G TX with WED (enabled as I described above) speedtest reach around 500 Mbps download with around cpu 1 90% and cpu 2 50% load, /sys/kernel/debug/mtk_ppe/bind is empty.