Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

For those who haven't seen this - this is cool:

And the RT3200 can easily handle it without breaking a sweat.

2 Likes

Thanks for this information.
I was just wondering about the amount of kworkers active on the router. In my perception there were a lot less active in previous builds. Guess I was wrong.
Maybe later this week I have some time and take a look how this looks under 22.03.

It looks like we will get hardware QoS (or some kind of trafic shaper) soon https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-mediatek/list/?series=693712

4 Likes

ok that would mean we could activate sqm with software offloading and hwo right?

I think the SoC will handle everything and it should work with HW offloading.
But I'm not sure exactly what this series does. Looks like it's shaping traffic to no exceed link speed of the port. Not sure if it can be configured for custom speed.

Looks like it's already in the latest snapshot.

it's in the latest snapshot of the master branch. :slight_smile:

I don't see in in 22.03 snapshot, yet..

1 Like

anyone has try ?? thé New in Snapshot

It works fine on my setup with SNAPSHOT r21222-ceb1451c10. But someone reported it crashes on ubnt-er-x-sfp

1 Like

ok can you explain me exactly what you know ? it allows if I understand to activate hardware accelleration with sqm or qos right ?

Don't know more than I've used that firmware for a day now with no problems. My setup maybe don't even have a use case that benefits from it?

1 Like

No, that's not exactly true. sqm-scripts, qos-scripts or qosify all still require packet scheduling to happen in software, also because at this point you have no way to inform the HWQoS engine about the actual speed of your WAN connection (right now it just uses Ethernet link speed 10M/100M/1000M)

3 Likes

PSA, this router does report temperature at /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
collectd-mod-thermal picks it up automatically and it displays a nice graph in luci-app-statistics
The router reports temperature between 51C in the middle of the night and 53C during the day, nicely tracking the settings on my thermostat. It only warms up when I do things to it. Pegging the CPU with a 5 minute iperf loopback test got it up to 67C.
This is with scaling_governor set to userspace

Currently using the SNAPSHOT (r21170-6198eb3e64) version and 160MHz on 5Ghz seems to completely drop after about 8-10 hours of being active on channels 110-112 (UK country code)

By drop, I mean the radio just completely shuts off with “wireless not associated” displayed within LuCI

not sure where to begin with finding logs that may shine some light on this issue that I can report back here with if anyone can lend some assistance in locating these?

Thank you :slight_smile:

logread from cmdline

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Belkin RT3200 here in the UK and I'm wondering what the device LEDs are like and whether the intensity can be controlled in OpenWRT. It will replace my existing router which due to various constraints will be next to my TV so ideally I don't want any bright LEDs in my eye line.

The RT3200 got two not very bright white/orange LEDs. Both of them (WAN) can be disabled entirely in software if you like it dark.

i've disabled the front leds entirely. so yes that can be done.

Agreed, they are soft white when running and and not too distracting.
sf317302-001_en_v1

@wired-dev - I looked on the wiki page but did not see info on disabling the LEDs. Would you edit or post a link?

1 Like

In LuCI, go to System -> LED Configuration. You can add a rule for the power LED to be always off, and modify the WAN LED to also be always off.

1 Like