Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

My E8450 is rock stable. Nothing to complain about. It is still not known what the root cause of the reported boot or reboot problems is.

In a hope to retain my reboot and boot stability regarding the problems of others I followed the report to raise the min_freq clock speed to 600 MHz

This is just one line in /etc/rc.local

echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_min_freq

Nothing obscure about this tweak. And only precautionary since I do not experience boot or reboot problems with my device at all, even after a lot of 23.05-Snapshot and RC release sysupgrade related reboots.

If the reports make you feel insecure about the device and you don't already own it: don't buy it. I would still buy it because it's still a great value to me and of course stable.

The alternative to me would be Netgear WAX206, which is currently out of stock everywhere. Or GL-MT6000, which is more expensive, bulkier, should have higher power consumption and I don't need quad core and 2.5 GbE WAN for now.

MT7981B based routers could be the natural dual core successor to E8450 or RT3200. But I see only GL-MT3000 currently supported and this device does not include an integrated switch and could be annoying under load with the active fan based cooling.

3 Likes