Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion

Then you just need to flash

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03-SNAPSHOT/targets/mediatek/mt7622/openwrt-22.03-snapshot-r19575-506432a783-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb

and then use "opkg" to install the packages you want.

If this doesn't work, try power cycle like I mentioned and then try flashing again.

EDIT: Changed MASTER SNAPSHOT image link to 22.03-SNAPSHOT image link.

1 Like
root@OpenWrt:~# cd /tmp
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# wget https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03-SNAPSHOT/targets/mediatek/mt762
2/openwrt-22.03-snapshot-r19575-506432a783-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb
Downloading 'https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03-SNAPSHOT/targets/mediatek/mt7622/openwrt-22.03-snapshot-r19575-506432a783-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb'
Connecting to 168.119.138.211:443
Writing to 'openwrt-22.03-snapshot-r19575-506432a783-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb'
openwrt-22.03-snapsh 100% |*******************************| 10008k  0:00:00 ETA
Download completed (10248506 bytes)
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# sysupgrade -n openwrt-22.03-snapshot-r19575-506432a783-mediatek-mt7622-linksys_e8
450-ubi-squashfs-sysupgrade.itb 
Tue Jul 26 02:50:32 UTC 2022 upgrade: Commencing upgrade. Closing all shell sessions.
Command failed: Connection failed
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed.

Unfortunately did not help. I am going to try to power cycle the device tomorrow and I'll report back.
I appreciate your help.

Edit: I reconnected to the router and rebooted it after this. No change.

I don't see anything that says flashing is unsuccessful. Did you wait for sometime (maybe 5 mins) for flashing to complete?

These messages are normal.

EDIT: After few seconds of starting the sysupgrade process, you should see both the RT3200's lights go OFF for few seconds and then come back ON.

Let me try again. This time, I am not going to connect to the router right after I flashed it.

I am not at the device right now unfortunately. And something must have happened after this last flash because the router is not available anymore.
I report back tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Have you read this issue. There are posts that have useful suggestions.
Have you played with Flow Control settings of the router switch or the NICs,
I use R7800 and had similar issues when streaming over LAN to 100Mbps clients (TVs, Set-top boxes).
Currently I use a workaround as written on this post but you may want to read other thread posts too. It's really useful discussion there.

1 Like

Thanks. But I am not using this device as router, only as an access point/switch.

I do my custom builds which I disable dhcp/dnsmasq, firewall, etc. So there is no NAT, no WAN, no Firewall, no Flow offload involved.

One of the LAN ports is connected upstream to a NanoPI R4S (my actual router), and one of the LAN other ports is connected downstream to other switches in my network (both Gigabit).

What I experienced is packet loss between the wired Gigabit LAN ports when there was traffic in one of the switch ports that was connected to the Samsung TV (100Mbps). I just disconnected the TV from the LAN port and the packet loss in the Gigabit ports was gone.

It seems to be an Ethernet Switch driver issue, no WAN, no NAT, no firewall involved.

1 Like

I see but it seems this is an issue with the switch itself when mixed clients are connected to it (mixed 100Mbps and 1Gbps devices). More specifically the Flow Control settings of the switch ports. Not a NAT, Firewall issue when RT3200 is used as a router. If you read my posts you'll see that I experienced the same LAN traffic interruptions that I didn't think initially were connected with this specific setting. I believed it was NAT or other issue but as you can see it was caused by the Flow Control settings of my LAN devices.

2 Likes

@ka2107 , you are awesome! Flashing this image and power cycling the router resolved the issue!

Flow control is something else than Flow offloading. Flow control is something that is used on Layer 2, so purely using it as a switch can and will still trigger that bug.

2 Likes

for all-in-ones yeah. Basically any mt7622-based device would be a good choice, but unfortunately only few of those with OpenWRT support exist and mt7622 chips overall are still rare. Thanks to the still ongoing chip crisis, all of mt7622 are currently rather low on stock.
If you see a batch of available RT3200 or 8450, dont hesitate too long.

http://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2022-July/039099.html

good evening everyone, i came across this recent topic on pipermail i own a rt3200 and the title of this topic and this week'supdate, would this be the 22.03 version fully supported for future devices such as belkin rt3200?? thanks

If you're in the US, belkin.com/us/ has had the RT3200 in stock every time I've checked. I got another one a couple months back with a "first time customer" coupon for US$90, listed right now at the regular price of $100.

I got one on walmart dot com for $80 a few weeks ago. Back up to $99 now but in stock. US only??

1 Like

I would be looking for one in Europe, primarily Germany. Amazon.de has it listed as out of stock

https://www.belkin.com/de/accessories/c/wifi-routers-extenders/ shows it for 149€, but also out of stock

Ebuyer has them at 50 GBP.

https://www.ebuyer.com/1143080-belkin-ax3200-dual-band-gigabit-wifi-6-router-rt3200-uk

2 Likes

do they sell outside UK ?

Amazon.co.uk sells it to different country for 53 pounds. Depending on your country the shiping is 4 pounds to Germany to 19 pounds for shiping to Bulgaria. The good thing is that it comes with replacable UK and EU plelectric plug
Regards
K.

2 Likes

Yes perfect! I noticed that before but forgot:

With Amazon reselling Ebuyer you can forward to anywhere right? And Ebuyer is very reputable so that is the third party seller you should definitely choose.

Yep.I can not even open the ebuyer page from Bulgaria, but trought Amazon Uk I didn't have any issue and it was fullfilled by ebuyer.

2 Likes