Belkin RT3200: 192.168.1.1 Mandatory? / UBI vs Non-UBI

Hello,

Last time I used Openwrt was probably somewhere around 2004, and I have to relearn everything I guess.

192.168.1.1: The RT3200 doc, and the OpenWRT doc insist on using this address to operate. But that's the ip of my ISP box, and my RT3200 has a different ip. When I had not connected the RT3200 to my ISP Box I could use the page 192.168.1.1 to access the RT3200 GUI, it would log in automatically, this to get me to the wizard page that would fail because it wasn't connected to my ISP Box.
Once plugged in, it got a 192.168.1.26 ip, I was able to access to the RT3200 UI but this time I had to log in with the admin pwd and the wizard didn't trigger.
This makes me think that 192.168.1.1 HAS to be used for, flashing OpenWRT, does it?

What about having to use the ip 192.168.1.254 only for the device I'm using to configure this? Does it really matter?

Ubi vs Non-Ubi: This page mentions that after 2021 it's not recommended to use Non-Ubi. My actual firmware is 1.0.01 build 101415, so I assume i'm in a situation where I could still use Non-Ubi and not encounter issues with the ECC, right?

The page linked above makes me think that Non-Ubi would have been preferable if there weren't bugs in the ECC, is it?
It states that "if you just want to try OpenWrt and still plan to go back to the vendor firmware, use the non-UBI version of the firmware which can be flashed using the vendor's web interface." and " If you do want to use OpenWrt permanently, it is recommended to convert the device to UBI layout". I'm confused because it sounds like if I use UBI I will never be able to revert to the manufacturer firmware.

But then, when I look at this doc, I can see there's actually a backup and a restore procedure that seem to allow flashing back to the manufacturer firmware.
If I flash it with UBI, will I be able to revert to the stock firmware or not?

Thanks in advance.

hi my isp french orange is 192.168.1.1

you can change to 192.168.2.1 :wink: your openwrt

1 Like

Thanks. Meaning my RT3200 can have whatever ip when I'll flash it then, right? I could change the ISP box ip (FR Orange too) while I'll be flashing but I'd rather know if it's really required first. I find it odd that it mentions this ip specifically, and not something like "whatever ip your RT3200 has"...

Any idea regarding UBI vs Non-Ubi?

Ubi is the preferred variant.

Not easily, as the bootloader is replaced. Still possible, but requires several commands. See advice in

The default IP in OpenWrt is 192.168.1.1 and the router will have that after flashing and it boots with OpenWrt. You can then later change it to something else.

(OpenWrt has no idea about the previous IP configured in the OEM firmware. If your router has some other IP currently in OEM, and you flash, the router will have 192.168.1.1 after flashing)

Thanks, it doesn't answer 100% my question but I'll take it :).

I guess I don't have to connect the RT3200 to my box before, during and after the successfull flashing, and only connect it when I want? In this case I wouldn't have to bother with the fact that the ip 192.168.1.1 is already used on my network.

Quite so.

You can have just the RT3200 connected to your PC while you flash it and change RT3200's IP to something else than 192.168.1.x. And only after that connect it to the ISP box.

1 Like

Thanks @hnyman and @Dopam-IT_1987 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having a proprietary router in front of OpenWRT is pretty common.
My general recommendation is, to set a different IP range on the proprietary ISP box

• so that 192.168.1.1 is unused in your home network, that simplifies the setup of a fresh OpenWRT
  • so that 192.168.0.1 is unused, as a lot of boxes use that address for their emergency recover procedure
  • setting custom IP ranges on every OpenWRT box, once setup, such that 192.168.1.1 is available again, when in need to Setup a new box

Right, to be clear do not connect it to a network during flashing and initial configuration. Connect only to your PC with an Ethernet cable, and disconnect the PC from any wifi networks. This of course means that you'll need to download all necessary files beforehand.

Initial configuration would include setting the IP address to something that is compatible with the network you're going to connect to.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.