Bananapi BPI-R64 Random Reboots

Bananapi BPI-R64
OpenWrt 23.05.2 r23630-842932a63d / LuCI openwrt-23.05 branch git-23.306.39416-c86c256
(2) AW7916-NPD - Configured as DUMB AP

• kmod-mt7915e - 5.15.137+2023-08-14-b14c2351-1
  • kmod-mt7916-firmware - 5.15.137+2023-08-14-b14c2351-1

Any help is very much appreciated!

Symptoms - Access Point frequent reboots.

Can anyone assist to point me in the right direction to identify the culprit for the random reboots. Not sure if its caused by heat or drive issue.

Which logs would you need to help me identify the issue.

It's been a while since I've actually put any load on my R64, but I do recall a clear issue with it getting glitchy when it got too hot. I ended up not only with heatsinks, but also with an 80mm computer fan attached to the case to ensure it wouldn't run hot.

As for logs, keep an eye on the system/kernel log for any oddities. When you notice it rebooted, also check for the presence of any ramoops files and see if that sheds light onto what happened.

any monitoring tools I can implement?

You might want to consider adding the packages collectd-mod-thermal and luci-app-statistics. You can configure the logging to a persistent filesystem or USB drive and review the thermal load, CPU load, and other things to see if anything stands out. As for the logs, you might be able to set up a process to copy the ramoops logs to the same filesystem via the Local Startup configuration. That way, if it does reboot, any traces will be saved right away. Sadly, I don't know of a way to catch it before the reboot occurs. If it's a kernel panic or a watchdog reset, I don't know of any safe way to interrupt it to capture the data other than the ramoops.