Backporting nodogsplash?

How do I go about backporting a newer version of a package to an older version of OpenWRT? Specifically Barrier Breaker. Versions newer than 17 have stability problems with the proprietary Broadcom drivers on my e3000, whereas BB is solid as a rock.

Barrier Breaker is both unsupported and known insecure, with security vulnerabilities in the kernel, application software, and underlying protocols, including WiFi itself, that are outside of OpenWrt. Many of these vulnerabilities are being exploited in the wild by both amateur and sophisticated actors. That you're asking about nodogsplash makes it exceptionally unlikely that you are operating in a fully isolated environment, and, as such, may be legally liable for any damage incurred directly or indirectly by your operation of a known insecure system, whether that damage happens to you, your clients, or a third-party attacked due to your use of a known insecure system.

If you choose to ignore those warnings, you would likely need to see if you can bring up a Barrier Breaker build environment, then create/modify the package Makefile to build from newer sources. Any integration with ubus, LuCI, or the like may need to be modified as well.

Believe me Jeff, I'd be very happy to use the latest stable release, if it didn't crash repeatedly because of the Broadcom proprietary drivers. I've spent the better part of a month trying to find stability before deciding that I have to resort to backporting. If there is any chance for getting 18.06.1 to work with kmod-brcm-wl, I'll take it, but from other discussions on this problem it appears that these drivers generate a huge shrug from the devs.

Broadcom "blobs" have always been something of a challenge to the open-source communities. With few exceptions, they aren't licensed in ways that make developing around them easy, and often aren't updated to newer kernel versions. I had to give up on what I considered a great Android phone as the manufacturer ceased providing any updates after they lost a suit related to their copying IP from another phone manufacturer.

As much as I know you don't want to hear this, an easier and safer approach might be a used Archer C7 or the like as an economical alternative to a new router.

1 Like