Autorate-ingress

I'm confused as to whether a bandwidth parameter is required, as all the man pages state it "can" be as in optional? autorate-ingress unlimited?

assuming you are talking about the cake qdisc.
autorate ingress is a workaround for links with variable capacity, like wireless (wifi/lte) where setting a static limit does not work.
so autorate works better than no limit but worse than a static limit.

i was also looking at this, trying to set up cake/piece_of_cake on 3g backup interface with my router. from man page:

autorate-ingress

Automatic capacity estimation based on traffic arriving at this
       qdisc.  This is most likely to be useful with cellular links, which
       tend to change quality randomly.  A bandwidth parameter can be used
       in conjunction to specify an initial estimate.  The shaper will
       periodically be set to a bandwidth slightly below the estimated rate.
       This estimator cannot estimate the bandwidth of links downstream of
       itself.

This estimator cannot estimate the bandwidth of links downstream of itself

does this mean that it's best to manually set an estimate download limit as a starting point for autorate-ingress, or it's best to set download limit to 0 and let autorate-ingress do the magic?

does this mean that it's best to manually set an estimate download limit as a starting point for autorate-ingress , or it's best to set download limit to 0 and let autorate-ingress do the magic?

As @kepebej912 was asking, is my question also. The default answer is to read the man page, which is usually deficient. To be easy as "cake" would be nicer if some of the options were actually detailed with examples :wink:

I'm not above contributing to the wiki as long as we have clear understandings of the inner workings from the sources.

1 Like

@mindwolf i must admit english is not my main language, so i could be the deficient part of the puzzle here, but i really don't understand if the estimator can or cannot estimate without an initial bandwidth parameter :slight_smile:

@dtaht maybe?

the core cake developers hang out on the cake@lists.bufferbloat.net mailing list. ask there.