Automated Test Suite

Hey,

What are your thoughts on an automated test suite for the OpenWrt project? There is BoardFarm, which is a mature automated test suite for OpenWrt that integrates with a CI server, and will flash the package or firmware onto a device then run some tests. It has pretty good features and comes with some pre-written tests that ensure basic functionality.

What would be required to integrate something like this in with the current build system? I can imagine adding something to menuconfig that says "Run automated tests", and it will either spin up qemu and run your test suite on that VM or on your board.

What are your thoughts on an automated test suite for the OpenWrt project?

It's necessary, CI and other automatic testing was one of the topics discussed on the last developer meeting.

What would be required to integrate something like this in with the current build system?

As always, "just" someone doing the necessary work :slight_smile:

I can imagine adding something to menuconfig that says "Run automated tests", and it will either spin up qemu and run your test suite on that VM or on your board.

It would be better to discuss this with other developers as well on dedicated development channel which is openwrt-devel@lists.openwrt.org mailing list. Not every developer follows forum closely, but I believe, that all read emails from time to time.