Auto Channel 5Ghz not working for Google Mini and Nintendo Switch

Hello,

I'm using a TP-Link Archer C7 v2 on the latest 19.07.02 version.

If I set-up my Wireless 5Ghz network channel to "Auto" my three Google Mini speakers and my Nintendo Switch are not able to detect SSID, neither connect providing the SSID manually.
My computer and IPad can still connect without any issue.

If I set a fixed channel, it is working OK for Googles mini and the Nintendo Switch in 5Ghz.

It is a known issue? Is there anything I could do to fix this?

Thank you
Regards / Benjamin

What channel is being selected in the auto mode? Do the devices connect if you set that same channel manually?

"auto" is just "first available" and not better than selecting a fixed one.

No, it is not. Or at least, not for all the routers. It is working properly in my R7800.

Please describe "it".

Since we wouldn't know what this behavior entails.

What channel do you get?

Just for you I restarted wifi :slight_smile: I did see it pick any channel between 36 and 165 and 1 and 11.

daemon.notice hostapd: ACS: Automatic channel selection started, this may take a bit
daemon.notice hostapd: wifi2: interface state COUNTRY_UPDATE->ACS
daemon.notice hostapd: wifi2: ACS-STARTED
daemon.notice hostapd: ACS: Automatic channel selection started, this may take a bit
daemon.notice hostapd: wifi5: interface state COUNTRY_UPDATE->ACS
daemon.notice hostapd: wifi5: ACS-STARTED
daemon.notice hostapd: wifi2: ACS-COMPLETED freq=2462 channel=11
daemon.notice hostapd: wifi2: interface state ACS->ENABLED
daemon.notice hostapd: wifi5: ACS-COMPLETED freq=5240 channel=48
daemon.notice hostapd: wifi5: interface state ACS->ENABLED

UPDATE: I do have this in my config (which I removed for the above test).

option channels '36 40 44 48 149 153 157 161 165'
	option channels '1 6 11'

auto is indeed better for some use cases when surrounded by a lot of stations that constantly change channels: fixed channels are not always a good option in my experience.

My bad: looks like "auto" has finally been implemented since the last time I had a look at it.

If you search the forum, it has been a while since it started working. It just everyone kept referring to the out of date wiki page, which still states otherwise.