Authentification problems with samba

@JW0914 thanks again

I will try all your suggestions

what about the issue of permissions not working in drives not formatted with ext xxx, eg FAT32?

is it true?

I missed your original post asking if it was because of FAT32... FAT32 doesn't support permissions, as it's permissions are determined by how it's mounted.

• Unless you have a specific reason for utilizing FAT32, a different file system really should be utilized for multiple reasons (lack of permissions support in the normal sense, 4GB file size limitation, etc.)
    • If the drive is only ever going to be plugged into the router, format it as ext3 [flash drive] / ext4 [HDD].
      • If it needs to be utilized on Windows, Paragon offers a program for $20 called Linux FS, which allows mounting, reading, and writing to EXT 2/3/4 filesystems on Windows.

hi again

does it mean that i can still mount the fat32 with full permissions? ie so that i can r/w/e from within windows

thanks for the paragon tip!!

best regards

You'll need to google how to mount FAT32 with permissions, which I believe utilizes the -o parameter.

• It would be better to simply copy the content to a different drive, reformat the drive to something other than FAT32 that supports permissions (ext3/4, NTFS, etc.), then copy the content back, as FAT32 is, for the most part, obsolete and a hindrance.
    • The main usage of FAT32 today is for EFI boot partitions, as it's an obsolete file system.

Thanks a lot once more