Ath79 builds with all kmod packages through opkg [flow offloading]

Thanks!
One more 1043 V4 is on your awesome build!
30 MBit, DHCP, nothing special, but at least ath79! :smiley: :+1:

0 Likes

Hi! Just installed your build and it's quite snazzy! (I was using the optimized build that's on a bit older kernel and I missed the ability to install OPKGs).

There is one thing I am missing however - and that is the ability to control the LEDs on the switch (ar8327 which is a part of the Archer C7 v2). Previously, I was able to do this with default openwrt as well as with the build from here: [GCC 7.2 BUILD] Optimized TP-Link Archer C7 V2 AC1750 LEDE Firmware but now I can only control the wireless LEDs and the system LED + USB leds. Would it be possible to compile support for those LEDs into your build? (or is it gone from trunk? D: )

Thanks for the excellent work on this build!

0 Likes

@juppin - Thanks for your amazing work!

I tried flashing this upgrade package to my Archer C7 using sysupgrade -n -F and found that the router rebooted and it was the identical version it was before?

• What should the OpenWRT version say after flashing?
  • Does it sound like I'm doing anything potentially wrong?
0 Likes

root@OpenWrt_WDR3600:~# cat /etc/openwrt_release 
DISTRIB_ID='OpenWrt'
DISTRIB_RELEASE='SNAPSHOT'
DISTRIB_REVISION='r7401+129-9009efa18b'
DISTRIB_TARGET='ath79/generic'
DISTRIB_ARCH='mips_24kc'
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION='OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r7401+129-9009efa18b'
DISTRIB_TAINTS=''

There was an issue while updating with sysupgrade and a not killed hostapd instance...
Connect over lan and do:

wifi down
sysupgrade -n -F ...
1 Like

Sorry to ask a possibly daft question but for an end-user, what does Ath79 mean?

0 Likes

From an enduser pov, nothing. Its modernization under the hood, with the main goal to bring the code into a form that is acceptable for Linux upstream, so that all (most) of the whole ar71xx supported devices can be handled by an upstream, unpatched Linux kernel.

There might be a slight decrease in kernel image size, but the general bloat of newer versions will likely eat that up completely.

4 Likes

Ahh it did work!

$ cat /etc/openwrt_release
DISTRIB_ID='OpenWrt'
DISTRIB_RELEASE='SNAPSHOT'
DISTRIB_REVISION='r7401+129-9009efa18b'
DISTRIB_TARGET='ath79/generic'
DISTRIB_ARCH='mips_24kc'
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION='OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r7401+129-9009efa18b'
DISTRIB_TAINTS=''

Cheers!

0 Likes

Thank you for this build, it's working fine on my ArcherC7v2, only problem was IP address must have been edited via /etc/config/network file...

I have found your build for Lantiq XWAY Fritz 7312 here: https://openwrt.it-neuhauser.de/4.14.53-1-58b09118143683a858efd5cac389dec4/lantiq/xway/
My main router/modem is TP-Link TD-W8970, based on Lantiq XRX200 chipset.
Would it be possible to add support for this very popular DSL modem in the future?
Thank you in advance

0 Likes

I had this build on my Archer C7 V2 for a week or so but couldn't get 5ghz wifi to work at all, and 2.4ghz wifi would just die off after a few days, so I decided to use the same flashing procedure to go back to ar71xx builds of sysupgrade -n -F. It seems to have made the router unbootable though and it seems to be caught in a bootloop. Any ideas?

edit: seems to be completely bricked to the point tftp won't even recover it, it attempts to send the firmware but it does not flash and just reboots itself every 1-2 seconds. Time to order a new router I guess, been itching for a dual-core one.

0 Likes

As long as your bootloader is okay this problem should be solvable...
I think you current tp link header is erased and you have to use a image with a modified header.
Checkout this: Can't get my archer c7 unbricked.. been trying all weekend

PS: The wireless driver is almost the same as on ar71xx for ath79. My devices have uptimes of five days and more until i do a sysyupgrade...

1 Like

Sorry, without a real device for testing this is not that funny. But if you have time and some programming/bash skills that shoulnd be that hard as long as there isn't a hw unit that needs a workaround or isn't supported by openwrt.

0 Likes

I tried tftping the firmware you posted in that thread - same result, seems to recognize and send but just reboots before it does anything. Unfortunately I don't have a serial cable to read what the thing is actually doing.

0 Likes

You have no arduino, pi or something similar?

0 Likes

Nope.. I've ordered a xiaomi MIR3G for $38 since I just have my cable modem directly connected to my desktop now using it as a wireless access point. I was trying these builds in the first place since the C7 wasn't as fast as I wanted anyway.

0 Likes

It's already supported by OpenWRT for some time, but official 18.06 build is 4.9 kernel based.
I was hoping you could create a custom 4.14 kernel based build with some NAT or PPTP offloading support...
I'm afraid I am not skilled enough for that, but thanks for explanation.

0 Likes

Ok, then why not build it yourself?

Is not that hard...
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/build-system/install-buildsystem
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/build-system/use-buildsystem

To switch to kernel 4.14 you have to modify only the top Makefile of the lantiq target.

Modify KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.9 to KERNEL_PATCHVER:=4.14 and build the image with all packages you need...

Also if you are not that skilled, this should give you a custom image in a couple of hours...

Greets

0 Likes

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction, maybe I give it a try some day.
Right now I'm a bit cautious cause it's my main modem/router, have no spare in case I screw it :wink:

1 Like

I´ve added a new build!

Changelog:

Download 4.14.62

Please read first post if you come from ar71xx

Greets

0 Likes

Does that mean we have to force upgrade to the latest version, or former ath79 version can be just upgraded with no need to configure from scratch?

0 Likes

No need for reconfigure, only a forced upgrade for archer c7v2 because this devices is now named as archer-c7-v2 and not tl-archer-c7-v2 as before.

0 Likes