Asus RT-N56U - How to debrick?

I got the original asus stock fw back by using recovery mode and ASUS utitily. Problem was: on my pc there was other ethernet interfaces defined and active as well. after deactivating all network interfaces exept the ethernet I wanted to use for recovery the ASUS tool was able to communicate in recovery mode.

Tried flasing lede 17.01. -> no sucess. Flashing original stock fw -> works! = router unbricked.

My next step is tyring 15.x (or oven older) openwrt fw-version and use sysupgrade procedure...

Worked for me.
I'm now on current lede 17.x fw with my rt-n56u. Sysupgrade procedure work for me. Both wifi interfaces seems to work correctly (configured via Lucy only)

@triaholgi
can you please describe what you have done:

• local ip of the PC: 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x
  • did you press any key on the device?
  • is your pc connected to a lan port or the wan port?

maybe i can bring my router also back in a normal state :slight_smile: many thanks

• ip of pc: 192.168.1.11; Subnet:255.255.255.0; Gateway: 192.168.1.1
  • Check if all other interfaces are down (ipconfig cmd under powershell)
  • start rooter in recov. mode: press reset and power on -> power led blinks
  • pc connected to lan port (1)

The solution provided from the ticket I referenced called for using sysupgrade image exclusively even if you are flashing from stock image.

If you use asus recovery util / cfe webpage and upload the sysupgrade image it should have worked as well.

Option 1 looks promising if you can get it to work.

in Serial console i only see the Output, but i was not able to put anyting in it This Option 3 is always automatically selected. This menu is only visible for some MS as far as i remember
But at the end of the boot log there is:
"
Our IP address is:(192.168.1.1)
Wait for TFTP request…
T T T T T T T T T T T T T T
"
But the IP ports are not up, the leds on the lan ports are not blnking and i don´t get any ip connectivity. I only see the PWR1 led blinking slowly and there is only a very,very low light on the LAN led of the Mainboard which is constantly on.
Many thanks for your help. Let us don´t waste our time on this any more. The device can be bought on ebay for ~15€, so i think it is not worth to do anything more in it :slight_smile:

By the way on my second rt-n56u device - which is still working- i have updated online the uboot to the one provided by padavan.
It has the feature: USB_RECOVERY_SUPPORT=y
I didn´t really test it, if it is working, but shouldn´t it be good to have it written in wiki if it is not too harmful? usb recovery Sound much easier than tftp or Serial recovery :slight_smile:

I have a great experience with it. I have made it a lot of time on my RT-N56U, because it is my laboratory router.
The restoration utility from ASUS works well, but there is a small after the original firmware is loaded. It boots with the ASUS firmware but seems to maintain the configuration files from OpenWRT. Of course this does not work. So you need a adition simple step: reset the router holding the reset button for 15 seconds. This removes the configuration data from OpenWRT and it boot as a new ASUS router.

Hi All
I also have a problem with RT-N56U
I tried to load openwrt-18.06.1-ramips-rt3883-rt-n56u-squashfs-sysupgrade and my router ends with boot loop ;/ when it starts LAN LED is on with very low light, after a few seconds it is on on full light and lan port wakes up, and then after few seconds, LAN PORT dies, and everything goes once again.

i have connected usb<-> TTL to read some logs (i tried PL2203 and FTDI 57600 parity: none, databits: 8, stop bits 1, HW flow control: none) but real term shows nothing ;/ (only red light on BREAK)
I can still get into recovery mode but the only LED which is on is LAN LED, the power LED is off all the time.
in recovery mode i tried to upload original trx, padavans trx but none of them get to work
I tried the same thing with TFTP - it uploads image and nothing happens then.
i tried 30/30/30, press wps during power on - nothing helped

should i trash it or there some hope? :slight_smile:

Hi,
have you installed firmware sysupgrade directly over the original ASUS firmware?
As far as I know, this does not work.
As Failsafe does not work on this router, I do following every time:

1. Use the restoration utility from ASUS to install original ASUS firmware
  2. Install Openwrt Barrier Braker 14.07 squashfs-factory.bin
  3. Upgrade to the desired Openwrt version.

B/R
carliedu

@aczlan Thanks so much for this tip. I tried soooooo many times and failed over months. Disabling my virtual box host adapter was the key to get this working. I owe you a beer or two.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.