Asus RT-AC88U: recentish (world-wide) outage - openWRT unaffected

So spent a few hours on my local supplier of used computer hardware, looking for a replacement router for my old TP-Link Archer c9 that got relegated to access point duty a while back for obvious reasons.

The 2x routers I spent time looking at were the Netgear D7800 and the Asus RT-AC88U. I went for the asus as it had openWRT and ddWRT support and has 8x ethernet ports.

After telling a friend about the purchase he said I should be wary of Asus routers as his went offline more than once due to the documented issue with the stock firmware -

The issue was boiled down the deficient "Ai security" powered by Trendmicro (the ineffectual super duper antivirus makers), having a indipentant auto-update that ignored the main update setting, even it was set to 'NOT update'!

Can I safely assume this Ai protection bollox is not part of openWRT on this model..? Or should I send the Asus back and get the Netgear instead?

With OpenWrt in mind, the Netgear r7800 would have been a much better choice…

While I wait for an answer on the Ai proection question...

In what way/s would the Netgear be better..?

OpenWrt is not vlunerable to any of this stuff... it doesn't auto-update, and it doesn't rely on other services/cloud providers to operate.

1 Like

Support for Broadcom based devices is, to phrase it PG13, 'basic'. Yes, bcm4366 has 'support' by brcmfmac, but that's rather limited (and on life support mainline) at best.

The r7800 is Qualcomm-Atheros ipq8065 based, with qca9884 wireless, which has considerably better mainline support - and this particular device has been a fan favourite of OpenWrt users and developers for years, which is just now slowly being phased out by 802.11ax capable devices, but still has a very good level of support and attention.

1 Like

Grand, so as I had suspected and hoped was the case, thank you.

Ah yes, I did wonder how this device got openWRT support while having a Broadcom SoC.

The AC88U is a good choice for ddWRT because I believe that chipset has the ultra-fast hardware NAT support - this is only available if using the proprietary Broadcom binary blob driver which DD-WRT uses.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.