I've been having these same issues with this router. Any instructions on how to debug properly would be appreciated. At the moment it appears to crash at random. Sometimes it's not a complete crash, as I can access via ssh. Sometimes it's only the wifi that dies. Sometimes it goes completely offline and only a power cycle will fix it.
Also are there any instructions or pointers on how to perform the below?
Using the “non-CT” ath10k drivers and firmware may improve stability.
You should be able to uninstall the existing drivers and kernel module and replace with
opkg list installed | fgrep ath10k # to get list of installed opkg remove kmod-ath10k-ct ath10k-firmware-qcaNNNN-ct # Change to the one(s) installed opkg install kmod-ath10k ath10k-firmware-qcaNNNN
or the like
Interestingly, I'm running the non-ct version already. Unless this was a change from 18.06.4 to 18.06.5.
~# opkg list-installed | fgrep ath10k ath10k-firmware-qca4019 - 2018-05-12-952afa49-1 kmod-ath10k - 4.14.151+2017-11-01-10
I also found this recent commit: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/1ac627024de916eb157659caf49f93fa89d3b19a
It suggests that this may be fixed in the latest snapshot.
Yes, most of the time some parts of the system still working and other directly dissapear.
Some user said that adding a swap memory fix the problems. You can try that and tell us something.
Since upgrading to 19.07 I haven't had this issue reoccur. Fingers crossed it's now sorted
19.07.2 is available and its working stably for me. I am using it as my daily driver for past 4 days.
Can someone update the Wiki page with the new code ?
Can someone clarify if the notice in the wiki
There have been multiple reports of instability of this device under load. is still relevant with openwrt 19.07.x?
I have been using code 19.07.1 for more than a month, with ISP speed of 150-up/ 50-down.
We have 10 wireless devices at home simultaneously accessing wifi on 2.4 and 5ghz. The router has been very stable for me.
openwrt-19.07 is using
kmod-ath10k-ct-smallbuffers, which reduces the memory pressure a bit (however, the same patches to reduce ath10k's buffer sizes was already present in openwrt-18.06). Despite these mitigation patches to reduce the memory pressure, 128 MB RAM is very limiting for devices with two ath10k based wireless cards and can be considered insufficient. If you're looking to buy a rt-ac58u, don't (look for devices with 256 MB RAM or more instead) - if you already own one, give it a try, but be prepared for OOM conditions and crashes.
fwiw, do you use IPv6?
There is a known issue where ethernet controller stops working in other devices using IPQ401x, such as: EA6350, EA8300, Fritzbox when IPv6 is enabled.
Yes, I have disable IPv6 DHCP6 as I donot need it in my home network. Though link-local address FE80::/10 are assigned automatically.
Maybe you have this problem OpenWRT 18.06.5-18.06.7 and IPv6 , if yes , you need double autorize with 5 seconds delay. If so , please say here and in my theme.
My ISP is not ipv6 so i can't confirm this, may be @bill888 can confirm.
do you have any transmission/p2p experiences? or constant http downloads or steam/origin/epic? cause mine died with recent releases when i did "heavy" downloads.
What's your ISP speed and how many concurrent live sessions do you have on your network ?
P-2-P does not crash my router, however its possible I am running P2P on single client there is no impact.
I have ran 4-5 live HD streaming sessions on Youtube, and Netflix and they dont seem to affect my network.
as i said i have problem with recent releases. i still not updated but i would like to know what users experiencing with the new one with this solution.
I know this is a dead thread, but I went out and bough 2 ACRH-13s, equivalent to the RT-AC58U, before I realized they only had 128MB of RAM. I went out and flashed one anyway to decide if I should return it. I've run a lot of testing and so far I have not seen free memory go down below 50% (or available below 30%) with multiple 2.4, 5GHz, and ethernet clients. No crashes either. I'm on the 19.07.2 official build.
ezviz w3 and same too , works good and fast enough , installed irqbalance and anabled it , see below
I still have stability problems with wifi. 70% time crash 5ghz, 30% time crash both.
Free memory 20-30% and I did swap to external HDD, but no succes.
From addons I have samba, transmissions UPnP and wifi schedule (tu turn off wifi at night).