Asus Initial Wireless Configuration

I apologize if I've missed this somehow...

But when I flashed my Asus RT-AC86P, everything went fine, but there is no /etc/config/wireless file. And even if I put a line to enable the wireless in the LUCI, there's nothing there for me to configure.

I do have a bit of experience with Linux, but mainly with Ubuntu, Debian and the like, which usually auto-detect and configure such things for you...

Soooooo... how does one create a basic wireless configuration file? Is there a auto-config script or command that I've missed?

Again, I apologize if I'm missing the obvious, but I've searched through things and just can't seem to find anything beyond the fact that I'll need to create the file from scratch.

If your device actually is an "ASUS RT-AC86U" with BCM4366E/ BCM4365E wlan, you might have luck with brcmfmac, but there might be quite some work ahead of you.

If your device actually is an "ASUS RT-AC68P" with 2* BCM4360 wlan, you'd mostly be out of luck (only b43 has some rather minimal support, capped at 54 MBit/s).

You'd be in a much better situation if you had checked device compatibility beforehand and gotten a better supported device instead.

Woah, easy there fella... you're assuming a few things here!

First off, I didn't buy this solely to use with LEDE/OpenWRT. I'm a network admin and I'm coming back to LEDE/OpenWRT after a few years using other tools on about 5 different ASUS router models. Yes, I've stuck with ASUS because of the easy re-flash capability built in.

So, while I may be new to the boards, I'm not a total NOOB!

Let's clear up the confusion first. It's not a typo, RT-AC68P is the actual model number, it's simply an updated version of RT-AC68U (was mainly available from Best Buy a little over a year ago). It has a faster cpu model, but otherwise uses the same SOC as the RT-AC68U. Actually, this router works just fine with DD-WRT, Tomato, AdvancedTomato, etc for the ASUS RT-AC68U firmware.

Now, with that out of the way, this question is not related to the wireless not working, it's an issue with the wireless configuration file not being created. With that in mind, can you provide a template /etc/config/wireless?

Okay, so to update this.

I've now installed firmware on RT-N12 ver D1 and RT-N53. All of them act the same, no wireless interfaces are configured on startup (not just disabled, but not configured at all).

Sooooo... I'm reading up on the Developer Docs to understand how to do that...

You seem to have a rather unhealthy preference for Broadcom SOCs (RT-N12, RT-N53) with unsupported wlan chips.

LOL... you seem to have a rather unhealthy preference for not being helpful in the least. THANKS!

DD-WRT, Tomato, Advanced Tomato all are able to pull this off, so I'm not sure why you insinuate this is some new task that has never been taken before.

Anyway... moving along...

I'll try one more time...If your WLAN Chip isn't supported, you wouldn't need a config file...

but here's a /etc/config/wireless file anyway:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
option type 'mac80211'
option hwmode '11g'
option path 'bcma0:1'
option channel '1'
option country 'US'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
option device 'radio0'
option network 'lan'
option mode 'ap'
option encryption 'psk2'
option ssid 'LEDE'
option key 'weakpassw0rd'

Hope this helps. Please do not be curious when nothing happens after: pasting, saving and rebooting, as slh attempted to explain why:

(I haven't checked your model numbers myself - I usually leave that responsibility for the router's owner...)

dd-wrt and Tomato have licenses with Broadcom to use closed source drivers. Fully open-source support for Broadcom wifi chips is very limited. Thus LEDE developers and users avoid buying Broadcom based routers.

You can check if a WiFi driver is installed and working by running iw list on the command line.

1 Like

Thank you for the more helpful replies!

I had been reading source code and come to the conclusion that there are two scripts that run on startup that check for and create the needed configuration based on specific hardware. So thank you for clarifying that!

Also, thank you for clarifying what you mean by "not supported". There is support out there, but it's not fully open-sourced, and this project stays away from that. I get it now.

I'm aware that dd-wrt has dabbled with certain licensing and commercial offerings, however Tomato has not. Tomato has no license to use any closed source drivers and, as far as I can tell, they use the open source broadcom driver... I'm assuming with modifications.

I'm going to be investigating sources from Shibby's code he's been using which enables use of all the devices I've documented so far:
MIPSEL
ARM

I'll report back if/when I find anything... but of course, anyone is welcome to join me on the journey... :slight_smile:

Any luck on your journey? Just ran into this issue myself. We're you able to get your Wi-Fi working?

I had another issue where the Wan wasn't configured either. Wondering if you had this issue too.

See the reply in your current thread...

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/14236 for ticket reference

Keep your posts on this topic in the thread you started.

Thanks.