Asus AX53U and Zyxel WSM20: Problems after sysupgrade from 23.05.2 to 23.05.3

Sorry, but you keep overthinking this and running ahead of yourself.

Just rewind a little. Now what do you want to achieve?
Do you want mesh11sd v3.1.0 to behave as close as possible to how v2.0.0 did?

If so then you would switch off auto_config in the firmware selector. But then you would loose the mesh11sd connect and mesh11sd copy functionality.

For the archer c7 v5, you must remove the ct ath10k drivers and replace with the non-ct versions.

For any router, wpad-mesh-mbedtls is all that is required.

So, in the "packages" text box, for a basic working system, put:
-ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct ath10k-firmware-qca988x base-files busybox ca-bundle dnsmasq dropbear firewall4 fstools -kmod-ath10k-ct kmod-ath10k kmod-ath9k kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-nft-offload kmod-usb-ledtrig-usbport kmod-usb2 libc libgcc libustream-mbedtls logd luci mtd netifd nftables odhcp6c odhcpd-ipv6only opkg ppp ppp-mod-pppoe procd procd-seccomp procd-ujail swconfig uboot-envtools uci uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd -wpad-basic-mbedtls wpad-openssl kmod-nft-bridge

Note you must remove standard packages you do not want with a minus sign in front
Add any other stuff you want for other things.
And in the second text box, labelled " Script to run on first boot (uci-defaults)", put:

uci set mesh11sd.setup.auto_config='0'
uci commit mesh11sd
1 Like

No, my goal is to be prepared for mesh when the old phones are replaced. So I want to install all needed packages for mesh and don't want to use mesh at the moment.

So, if I want mesh someday, do I need to flash again in every case because of uci-.defaults? If so I could remove the mesh-packages at the moment and do a fresh install when it is needed.

I can't find the discussion anymore, where I was told to use ath10k-firmware-qca988x but kmod-ath10k**-ct** . I was corrected heavily when I removed both ct-versions. I am a user and I am following others, when they tell me.

Thanks, here I was unsure.

At the end the question is, if I should stay with standard packages and do a fresh install, when I want mesh, because the old phones are gone.

What have old phones got to do with any of this?

Wait, after all this, you think mesh is how user devices like phones can roam from one ap to another?

Well it is not. Mesh is a backhaul network allowing access points to be connected without using cables.....
Normal user devices cannot connect to a mesh network directly, to do that there needs to be a mesh-gate providing access point functionality.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/mesh/80211s#warning_are_you_sure_you_want_a_mesh

Ok, I missed this bit FFS....

I can hypocritically criticise you for not reading the documentation, given that I did not read your "in passing" comment of a few days ago :smiley:

Ok, did not read too much, because it could be that I need mesh in 2 years, when the old phone is maybe broken.

I decided to use the default packages now. Seems impossible to be prepared for a later situation.

Nmap behaves now as it should and IMHO this is a bug. Automatic configuration should not make nmap unusable.

There has something changed with "sensitivity" and 23.05.3.

23.05.2 was excellent with most phones. Within 1-2 sec. the phone changed to the next AP / router, now it doesn't anymore. The phones which changed within 1-2 sec. need 30-60sec now. I don't use 802.11r, at least nothing is configured.

The old phones change from Wifi to mobile data for a very long time, but not to the AP, which is 1m away. But I can change the AP manually.

Maybe it is a question of better beamforming with 23.05.3. I have no idea.

The difference between 2 neighbor rooms (very thick wall) can be 50dbm(!) with the old phone and 15dbm with a new phone. I think with 23.05.2 it was 20dBm and maybe the higher difference made the phone to change the AP quicker.