ASU update to latest 23.05.0-rc4, wolfssl to mbedtls error

Dear Community,

Currently I am running a working version of Openwrt 22.03.05 on my TPLink C2600 and I would like to update to the latest Openwrt 23.05.0-rc4 without breaking my install. I am trying to update by Luci and the Attended Sysupgrade (ASU), after selecting the latest version and clicking the ‘request for firmware’ I get this error message:

Collected errors:

* check_data_file_clashes: Package libustream-mbedtls20201210 wants to install file /builder/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/root-ipq806x/lib/libustream-ssl.so

But that file is already provided by package * libustream-wolfssl20201210

* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-ssl.

make[2]: *** [Makefile:189: package_install] Error 255

make[1]: *** [Makefile:154: _call_manifest] Error 2

make: *** [Makefile:274: manifest] Error 2

After investigation on the forum and the release notes I expect this potentially comes due to the switch: ‘OpenWrt switched the default cryptographic library from wolfssl to mbedtls’.

What are the best steps to update to the latest version using ASU? Should I just manual delete these packages from the selection list and then Openwrt will install the new mbedtls packages?

libustream-wolfssl

libwolfssl

px5g-wolfssl

wpad-basic-wolfssl

Not sure if it’s is related but currently I’m using the Luci HTTPS access by uHTTPd and Dropbear SSH keyfile access what I would like to maintain. Thanks already for any replies.

You need to make a decision for one, only a single one, libustream-* provider. This means you either need to dive down into the package manifest and deselect conflicting packages - or you start fresh, with a default image (not asu based) and (re-)add what you need (the later tends to be better/ easier).

1 Like

Thanks for you reply.

• "Dive down into the package manifest and deselect conflicting packages:"
    As much as I would like to do this, I don’t know how to do this properly.

• "or you start fresh, with a default image (not asu based) and (re-)add what you need (the later tends to be better/ easier)":
    This seems to be the safest options. For my access point this would be fine, by just keeping the settings.
    For my main router I am a bit reluctant to do this. As I have spent many weeks tweaking the installation and now have a good working Openwrt with Adguard home DNS server. I am still looking for a good way backup my installation before I start fresh and return to the same state.

My end goal would still be doing a fresh installation and then run a script that’s sets all the correct settings and install my additional packages with the correct config files. Any tips ?

22.03 is not end of life, and 21.02 was only made end of life in May this year.
I would not move from stable to a release candidate unless there is something you benefit from in the current 23.05 release.

After your feedback I decided to not use the attended sysupgrade but perform a full sysupgrade and trying to maintain my setting. This worked perfectly to go from 22.03.05 to 22.05.0 stable.

Steps taken for the update:

• Reboot router (to clear memory)
    • LUCI -- backup setting
      • Included my: /etc/adguardhome.yaml
      • SSH keys, HTTPS LUCI keys
    • Checked packages installed by opkg list-installed
    • Used firmware selector: TP-Link Archer C2600 v1 (ipq806x);
      • Customize image: added one: adguardhome
      • Request build
      • Download sysupgrade
      • Check by cmd.exe: certutil -hashfile … sha265
    • Flash firmware, keep settings
    • opkg update
    • opkg install attendedsysupgrade-common (or what package you want to add later)

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.