-ash: easyrsa: not found

Hi,

I was following instructions about initializing OpenVPN here: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/vpn/openvpn/basic

And it seems to me that I am not able to use easyrsa.
When I try to run easyrsa --batch init-pki I am getting -ash: easyrsa: not found before running easyrsa I obviously ran opkg update and opkg install openvpn-easy-rsa (everything like in the tutorial above)

What might be reason of that and how can I solve it?

Sometimes the not found message is around libraries, not the executable.

Is the easyrsa executable there on your device?

If not, is your install more than a couple weeks old? If so, you might want to back up your config, install a current ROM and all the packages you need, and try again. There were changes in some of the TLS packages over the last month or so that "broke" many encryption-related functions if a user "upgraded" the packages. This may be the same underlying problem; there's a copy of the needed library, but not of the expected version.

No it isn't

I installed easyrsa today and OpenWRT is factory installed on my router and I never updated OpenWRT to newer version.

Does it mean that I have to delete "current OpenWRT" from my device and install latest one?

opkg update
opkg --force-reinstall install openvpn-easy-rsa
ubus call system board

Don't worry about this issue on your router, and instead do this on your computer. The crypto key generation will go fairly quickly on a full computer but can take a really long time on small embedded devices like routers.

1 Like

Sorry for noob question, but if I will follow any tutorial for easy-rsa for example for ubuntu machine should I just copy generated cert and key to OpenWRT machine and it will work?

1 Like

It should, yes. The certs have a standard form.

OpenVPN Basic guide assumes specific location for certificates and keys.
If you change it, you have to modify the scripts accordingly.

1 Like