ART partition for Netgear WNR2000v1

Hey @jeff I've got that unit and would be willing to dump my ART partition if you think it would help.

update oops I don't have that unit I have a WNDR3700 my bad

Hi smart,

Did you manage to fix the router? My router Netgear WNR2000v1 died too and I'd like to reprogram the flash, and I'm wondering if you can send me a full dump of the flash memory or at least the u-boot and art partitions.

Thanks,
Danut

hi, I'm joining the request, can anyone dump his/her art partition? even if it's device specific I don't think it can be that problematic? eventually there will be more than one device with the same mac on wifi etc :slight_smile:

1 Like

I managed to read the flash of my router and from 0x000000000000 to 0x000000050000 is blank, namely full of FF. All other partitions seems to be ok. So my new request is if anyone can put a hex dump here for this offset. it is about u-boot and u-boot-env. I can put here any of other six partitions excluding art partition that I understood it contain MAC address. In the following days I'll try to use binwalk to see if I can find more insights.

Here are all the partitions still available on my router's flash memory. To avoid MAC duplicate, on the ART partition I zeroed the MAC address starting at the offset 0x1000 and ending at 0x100A and also the one starting at the offset 0x120C and ending at 0x1211.

I'm waiting maybe someone will want to put here a dump for mtd0(u-boot) and mtd1(u-boot-env) for this Netgear WNR2000v1. Smart or vitek1308 could you?

I managed to fix this router and all details are here: - Netgear WNR2000v1 flash full dump

Hi danut,

Sorry for my late reply, I’m quit busy with rebuilding my house these days.

you wrote:
For those who are interested I can provide the flash image of 4MB. On the other hand I'm still waiting for a dump of the original flash or at least for the first two partitions, u-boot and u-boot-env.

I had a quick look in my directory and if found these files back (however I have no idea anymore what is, since these are made in september last year):

Let me know if this helps you.

I’m very interesting in your solution but currently no time left these days

regards

(Attachment u-boot.orig.bin is missing)

(Attachment u-boot-env.orig is missing)

1 Like

Hi smart,

Thank you very much for your answer, unfortunately the attachment you made is missing for both u-boot and u-boot-env. Right now I'm working for the fourth functional image for this router. Till now I managed to make it alive again with Openwrt Backfire, Openwrt Lede Reboot, Openwrt 19.07.2 and now I'm trying to make install the latest 19.07.2 upgrade. I'll document everything tomorrow.

Regards,
Danut

Hi Danut,

I’ll try again as zip file.

I’m not sure this what you’re looking for. This backup is made after installing backfire before trying out upgrades

regards

(Attachment backup ramfs.7z is missing)

Hi smart,

Please try one more time to add them all here on zippyshare - https://www.zippyshare.com/ and give me the download link.

On the other hand maybe this will make your router live again - Netgear WNR2000v1 flash full dump

Thank you,
Danut

Hi danut,

• Seems openwrt does not support all files to be uploaded (only picture formats) .

Below the links to the u-boot files: Again these are taken after installing openwrt (backfire), so I’m not sure if these will be useful to you?

https://www64.zippyshare.com/v/dvts7bkl/file.html

https://www64.zippyshare.com/v/s42QdsWe/file.html

• I had a quick try with your art partition. I could load it but I got the same checksum error after filling in my mac.

So there seems to be a checksum and I don’t know on which ofsett these checksum(s) is located.

easiest would be that you sent me the unmodified art file to my private address (smartvdv@gmail.com) so I can try to find out.

seems that the expected checksum is shown during boot (at lease on a error)

regards,

Hi smart,

I don't think the MAC address is something of value these day, cause there are many softwares that can change it easy. Here it is - https://www75.zippyshare.com/v/8xhVUfOG/file.html

I'll check in the next days what you sent me and I'll be back with the results.

Thanks a lot,
Danut

Hi smart,

I get the time to check the u-boot and u-boot-env you sent me, and they are identical bit by bit with those of Fuhry. Are you sure they are the original one? Could you check this?

Thanks,
Danut

Hi danut,

yes, I was fearing it would be the case.
now,

if you return to the stock software wouldn’t this help to get original partitions?
this is what I found on open wrt:

To get back to the factory firmware you have two options:

> The first (from OpenWRT):

*mtd erase u-boot-env*

*mtd erase uImage*

*reboot*

> The second (from the uboot recovery console):

*mtdparts default*

*erase nor0,4*

*erase nor0,1*

Then reboot the router, tftp flash a copy of an official firmware from Netgear, and follow the instructions above. Enjoy, and thanks again to fuhry for patching uboot!

I was looking around month ago to buy a spare with original soft to get art partition from it. Maybe that is a way out?

regards

Hi smart,

I thought this might be the case. However, I would like to give it a try. I don't use this router anymore cause is too wold and weak. But I would like to get an original version of u-boot and u-boot-env, which I removed by mistake before to make a backup of the entire flash memory.

I'm sure that here are people who have this kind of router, but perhaps they don't consider my request. But I'll continue asking for this.

I've tried to buy one too, but the postal costs is more than $30 to send it to my country, and I gave up. If you manage to by one try to make first o flash memory dump, bit by bit, before any other changes. And of course, would be great if you'll want to share it with me.

Regards,
Danut

The WNR2000 is a pretty old, under-spec'd device by now, you can get much better devices for less money by now - especially by widening your search to the used market.

Hi slh,

indeed, I have openwrt running on a thinclient, even on virtual machine so i'm not in short of a router these days

it's just as hobby and you better learn about openwrt on under-spec'd device, isn't it?

regards

1 Like

I wouldn't agree with this statement, in particular because there's a difference between sufficient, but low-end devices and those (like this one) which are below the bar. With 4/32 devices you don't really get into the learning phase, as you're hitting the wall (unfixable flash/ RAM limits) way too early (adblock, not enough RAM, VPN, neither enough flash, nor RAM, ...).

1 Like

Hi slh,

For me it was a good chance to learn about bootloader, about router's partitions and serial console pins assignment and many other things specific to routers. As a result I managed to install latest version of openwrt on this 4/32 router, installed adblock and everything works fine. Right now I use an Tplink 1900 router that now I get the courage to update it's firmware to openwrt or ddwrt, exactly because I already exercised on this "bellow the bar" device.

On the other hand, do you have a flash dump for this router?

Thanks,
Danut

Hi danut,

I bumped in the same problem, the prices for a second hand one is almost the price of a new one....

In amsterdam i found one
total cost will be about 17€ to get it home.
:slight_smile:

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computers-en-software/netwerkkaarten-routers-en-switches/m1517537739-netgear-wnr2000-wireless-n-router.html?c=80906a7f13ccf514b11788e5504db095&previousAction=asqSent

One day I will find one in a bin somewhere. Of course this time I'll take a backup from the U boot.

regards

1 Like