ZyXEL NBG6817 (Armor Z2) recover disk partition

I format main disk /dev/mm{some thing} with zero. And now i cant boot it with tftp recovery. What i need to do?

If you wiped the whole (or wrong parts of) flash, you'll need a dump of an identical device, and a flash writer.

2 Likes

i dumb (. Where can i get it?

@slh i see you post a lot about armor z2. Probably you have dump?

Oh. I found your message. [Solved] Zyxel NBG6817 flashing from OEM - #113 by slh

Nothing usable i cant get with serial. Its okey?

I don't have access to that at the moment, but you should be able to tftpboot the OpenWrt initramfs image over serial.
Once booted into the initramfs image, you should be able to re-create the partition table on the eMMC, see https://github.com/pkgadd/nbg6817/ for details and exact partition locations and offsets.

romd and bu1 can be left empty (0x00).
header/ header_1 do contain data of the installed firmware, but OpenWrt shouldn't care about those, so 0x00 'might' work.
rootfs_data would contain the OEM overlay, OpenWrt doesn't need it - just format it with ext4 (on-disk file format needs to be compatible with kernel v3.4).
bu2 would contain the streamboost cache on an ext4 filesystem, that might be recreated when using the OEM firmware - just format it with ext4 (on-disk file format needs to be compatible with kernel v3.4).

For kernel/ rootfs and kernel_1/ rootfs_1, you can download the OpenWrt sysupgrade.bin image, untar it and write kernel/ rootfs correspondingly.

Make very sure not to clobber the spi-nor flash (mtd%d), if you do, it's game over for the wireless calibration data and the bootloader et al would have to be recovered externally in an spi-nor flasher.

Get the initramfs image tftpbooted, once you're at that stage, you have all options at your fingertips via serial - take your time, don't make it worse - take backups of everything (spi-nor and eMMC) before making any changes.

IIRC, zloader/ zld also had 'some' ways to rewrite/ recover the eMMC from the bootloader - but that's completely undocumented.

2 Likes

Well, after the partition table has been recreated, push-button tftp recovery might already work again.

i found only this initramfs, but i think it doesnt work because serial port didnt send any info IPQ806x NSS Drivers - #402 by quarky

probably you have actually link for initramfs?

I found openwrt initramfs but serial port doesnt send anything

Oh wow its work

But now i get error with wrong header checksum

I found this instruction and unlock my bootloader https://forum.archive.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=47957&p=1

How boot initramfs? With zloader?

Which command boot by tftp?

Isn't it like the next post, in the thread you had already found at Armor z2 formatting main disk - #5 by user090909

No tftpboot command available on this zloader

Only this commands are available

help                                                                                        
ATBT    x         block0 write enable (1=enable, 0=disable)                                          
ATWM    x         set MAC address in working buffer                                                  
ATEN    x[,y]     set BootExtension Debug Flag (y=password)                                          
ATSE    x         show the seed of password generator                                                
ATWZ    x[,y,z]   write ZyXEL MAC addr, Country code, HTP flag                                       
ATCB              copy from FLASH to working buffer                                                  
ATSB              save working buffer to FLASH                                                       
ATSH              dump manufacturer related data in ROM                                              
ATCO    x         set country code in working buffer                                                 
ATFL    x         set HTP flag in working buffer                                                     
ATSN    x         set serial number in FLASH ROM                                                     
ATGU              go back to master loader                                                           
ATCL              erase U-Boot environment, should be reboot                                         
ATCR              erase rootfs_data partition                                                        
ATRT    [x,y,z,u] RAM read/write test (x=level, y=start addr, z=end addr, u=iterations)              
ATGO              boot up whole system                                                               
ATUR    x         upgrade RAS image (filename)                                                       
ATUB    x         upgrade ZLD image (filename)                                                       
ATUG              upgrade GPT partition table on EMMC (gpt_main1.bin, gpt_backup1.bin)               
ATUD    x         upgrade ROMD image (filename)                                                      
ATCD              erase RomD partition                                                               
ATLD    x,[y]     load file X to memory address Y via TFTP                                           
ATMB    [x,y]     upgrade firmware image by multiboot                                                
ATDU    x[,y]     dump memory or registers                                                           
ATWW    x,y,z     set memory or registers(x=address, y=value, z=len)                                 
ATER    x,y       erase flash from block X to block Y                                                
ATRF    x,y[,z]   read/dump flash to ram/console(x=flash offset, y=len, z=ram address)               
ATWF    x,y,z     write data from RAM to flash(x=RAM address, y=flash offset, z=len)                 
ATDS    x,y       dump data of spare area in page Y of block X                                       
ATSWF   x         switch flash type for command ATER,ATRF,ATWF(x=0(NOR), 1(NAND))                    
ATCMP   x,y,z     compare two memory space x and y with length is z                                  
ATLED   [x,y]     set LED (x=led no, y=blink mode)                                                   
ATPIO   x[,y[,z]] set GPIO (x={d|s|w|r}, y=pio num, z=write data)